So.. I clear coated this F-15E I've been working on prior to decaling. The thing is, I did not paint the metallic areas yet on the bottom and tom. I only clear coated the top so far, and the metal area is much smaller on top of the aircraft. Before I mess this up, and don't ask me what I was even thinking before I clear coated, am I good laying down the alclad metallizer on top of the clear in some small areas? Or should I matte coat it then paint the metallizer... 

Thanks is advance. I probably should have taped it off and painted the metallizer first.. Oh well.. -Ed 

4 hours ago, Ed DeVivo said:

So.. I clear coated this F-15E I've been working on prior to decaling. The thing is, I did not paint the metallic areas yet on the bottom and tom. I only clear coated the top so far, and the metal area is much smaller on top of the aircraft. Before I mess this up, and don't ask me what I was even thinking before I clear coated, am I good laying down the alclad metallizer on top of the clear in some small areas? Or should I matte coat it then paint the metallizer... 

Thanks is advance. I probably should have taped it off and painted the metallizer first.. Oh well.. -Ed 

ive sprayed Alclad II over future, Mr Color gloss clear without issue

5 hours ago, Geoff M said:

Depends on the clear coat you laid down.  If it is lacquer you are ok.  If it is acrylic you might get some cracking in the paint as it dries.  Gloss is good for metallizers

Definitely acyrilic. Its VMS Varnish.. I don't think Im overly worried, because the area is about a square inch and if I have to buff it I will. The only thing is that I regret using this varnish, as it takes forever to dry. 36 hrs and still tacky. I'm not thrilled with the way it sprayed, but it looks good. The self leveling is decent. I should have used Tamyia X-22 but oh well there's the next build. VMS gets great reviews, and I'm not complain just wish it dried faster. 

While were on this, what do you guys use for gloss varnish, and flat/matte varnishes???

3 hours ago, MA Cooke said:

A related question: can Mr. Color lacquers be sprayed on top of Tamiya "acrylics" (acrylic lacquers)?

Lacquer over lacquer should be fine. I sprayed all different brands of flat/matte coats over Future years ago, no issue..