1/72 B-52 question

Hi all,

I have the HPH 1/48 B-52H but the fit is absolutly awful, nose profile is off and I'm losing heart to finish it to be honest.

So, plan B is giving up on the HPH kit and getting a couple of Modelcollect 1/72 BUFFs. I'd like to build a pre Phase VI 'H in SAC NMF and white anti-flash with four Skybolt missles, and a pre Phase VI 'G as operated in the Vietnam action.

What I am having difficulty with is which Modelcollect kits had serious fundamental issues and which later kits had these remedied, as I understand it nose profile, leading edge wing profile and a bunch of other issues.

Hoping someone can advise which Modelcollect kits to avoid and which have the initial issues resolved.

Thanks all,

Marc.

During the war we used "D' models with the big belly configuration, giving them an amazing amount of bombs in their bay.  The pylons under the wings mounted 12 750 bound bombs under each wing.

At first they aircraft were still natural with the white undersides but it wasn't too long before they went to camouflage with black sides, tails, and black undersides.  Missions were launched at least every hour, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, except for Christmas and the Bob Hope U.S.O. show.

In 1972 the camouflaged "G" models arrived for a short time.

I never heard of Skybolt missiles being used in theater.  These and hound Dog missiles carried atomic warheads and were used of stateside aircraft on nuclear alert aircraft.

On 10/1/2023 at 11:24 AM, serendip said:

Hi all,

I have the HPH 1/48 B-52H but the fit is absolutly awful, nose profile is off and I'm losing heart to finish it to be honest.

So, plan B is giving up on the HPH kit and getting a couple of Modelcollect 1/72 BUFFs. I'd like to build a pre Phase VI 'H in SAC NMF and white anti-flash with four Skybolt missles, and a pre Phase VI 'G as operated in the Vietnam action.

What I am having difficulty with is which Modelcollect kits had serious fundamental issues and which later kits had these remedied, as I understand it nose profile, leading edge wing profile and a bunch of other issues.

Hoping someone can advise which Modelcollect kits to avoid and which have the initial issues resolved.

Thanks all,

Marc.

I don't think the Skybolt ever made it past the test phase before Kennedy cancelled the program.   I think the only pics I ever saw of an H toting around a brace of Skybolts were for testing.   Others may know more than I do so I'd defer to them.

You're right, Hounddog not Skybolt - I'm getting my '60's standoff missles mixed up.

And indeed neither deployed in Vietnam.

I meant to combine this thread with the other I placed with a more accurate subject title (Feedback requested on which Modelcollect 1/72 B-52's to avoid) but couldn't work out how to delete this one.

Thanks all for the feedback,

Marc.

Nigel from the youtube channel "nigels modelling bench" made some B-52 fixes for the G and H. It has the newer nose section, corrected wheel bays, corrected tail planes and an engine update if you use the Eduard set. I have those sets but the model is packed away at the moment awaiting another move. If you go to his channel and search B-52 he has several videos detailing the builds.

Also search on here, there was quite a discussion with regards to the B-52 from modelcollect. 

Cheers

H.