Tamiya F-16CJ 1/32, paint scheme

Hello my friends,

I am making Tamiya F-16CJ 1/32, and I like the paint, of three tone scheme,of aircraft 92-3886, which Tamiya presented in instruction manual.

But... I have never seen aircraft 92-3886 in three tone camo.

Does anyone can confirm that 92-3886 ever had three tone camo, like Tamiya have recomended for specific period of 2003.

Thank you.

20231029_084511.jpg

Edited by Mustang381

Had a look at F-16.net and they have a pic of 92-3886 dated May 19 2003 and it looks like it's in the two tone scheme. Being a 92 bird she probably left the factory in the three tone but was repainted two tone in depot maintenance .

I looked into this myself a couple years ago and concluded it was two tone only after finding a cheap kit on Facebook marketplace. The only problem for me was the decals had yellowed badly. So the search for a more modern aftermarket option continues. Since any options are currently long OOP.

All USAF Vipers left the factory in the 3 color scheme, before the fleet gradually transitioned to the 2 color scheme of FS36270/FS36118 around the early 2000's as you say. As this is done gradualy, you will see units having both schemes at one time. Hence you need to check reference photos by searching for your specific jet on Airliners.net, Jetphotos.com, Airfighter.com, airhistory.com etc. 

Here is availalble F-16 decals in 1/32; 
Big Scale Vipers, Part II — Reid Air Publications (reidairpublishing.com)

I don't think Tamiya screwed up anything, it is just a matter of what timeframe you're looking at. Most of the markings should easily be adapted to the 2-tone scheme from the 3-tone, so no big deal as I see it.

3 hours ago, Niels said:

I don't think Tamiya screwed up anything, it is just a matter of what timeframe you're looking at. Most of the markings should easily be adapted to the 2-tone scheme from the 3-tone, so no big deal as I see it.

Yes, it is true, it can easily be converted to two tone.But I would like sooooooooo much that it is true that these ofered paint schemes are correct and that I can paint this model in three tone colors ,like it is ofered in the box 🙂

Edited by Mustang381

Well, technically they are correct for the timeperiod they reflect. Take the example with the new Have Glass 5 scheme - this is being retrofitted to the whole fleet, one jet at a time. That doesn't mean that the old scheme is wrong. It only means you have to decide which timeframe you want to reflect. Back in those days, the 3-color scheme was correct, then they changed to 2-color and now it is one color. 

14 minutes ago, Niels said:

Well, technically they are correct for the timeperiod they reflect. Take the example with the new Have Glass 5 scheme - this is being retrofitted to the whole fleet, one jet at a time. That doesn't mean that the old scheme is wrong. It only means you have to decide which timeframe you want to reflect. Back in those days, the 3-color scheme was correct, then they changed to 2-color and now it is one color. 

Ok, so I will not make it historicly wrong, if I paint them in three tone,and just aply these markings from the box?

1 hour ago, Niels said:

Nope, as those markings reflect the actual look at the time. 

Ok, bro.Can you help me to find any photo from that period, not of specific aircraft, either at least one from that FS, that have three tone colors, that would silence the demons 🙂

Edited by Mustang381
16 hours ago, Niels said:

All USAF Vipers left the factory in the 3 color scheme, before the fleet gradually transitioned to the 2 color scheme of FS36270/FS36118 around the early 2000's as you say. As this is done gradualy, you will see units having both schemes at one time. Hence you need to check reference photos by searching for your specific jet on Airliners.net, Jetphotos.com, Airfighter.com, airhistory.com etc. 

Here is availalble F-16 decals in 1/32; 
Big Scale Vipers, Part II — Reid Air Publications (reidairpublishing.com)

No Misawa jets on that one unfortunately.

I dont want to use aftermarket decals, since I have practiced my self pretty good with Tamiya decals, to make them near perfection, with few times oversprayed with gloss cote, and some nice and smooth sanding, and then these decals looks pretty good.

Since Tamiya have offered these paint schemes I will use it as they are shown, because it is very plausable that they are correct.

Edited by Mustang381