I'm doing an Israeli AF version from the Six Day War in June 1967. I studied the drawings to see what needed to be painted first, before foiling.

I will paint the two rectangles on the underside, and the nose cone. I wondered about the vertical tail. After further study, I found that there were decals for some of the black and off-white areas near its leading edge. Nice. Those are quite hard to get perfect with paint.

ALF

P1480451.JPG

P1480452.JPG

P1480453.JPG

Not being too concerned about exact colour-matching, I used a greenish grey for the rear patch, and a flat yellow for the forward one. I had to do a couple coats for the forward one.

This can be a tail-sitter, so I loaded up the nose cone with plasticene before gluing it on.

ALF

P1480458.JPG

P1480459.JPG

P1480460.JPG

P1480461.JPG

I used some of the discoloured (boiled in egg shells) foil to do the little vertical separations on the fuselage.

Then I alternated some glossy and not-so-glossy foil for the large wing areas. I wrapped glossy foil around the leading edges of the delta wing, so there would be no seam along the sharp leading edge.

As AD-4N so rightly pointed out, this is not an easy job. It will take me quite a while to do this right.

ALF

P1480464.JPG

P1480462.JPG

P1480463.JPG

P1480465.JPG

P1480466.JPG

A side note on the glues used. I started using Bare Metal Foil adhesive that I ordered from their online store. It works beautifully. I then tried a bottle of gilding paste from an art store. It went on nicely, but was not nearly tacky enough after it dried. In fact, it barely held to the plastic, and I quickly painted over it with the Bare Metal Foil glue.

I don't know if the problem with the gilding paste was its age, or if it's just not up to the task. I have had this bottle for quite some time, so I had to chop off the lid because I couldn't get it to open. Child proof? ALF-proof! 🙂

If at first you don't succeed - use a bigger bomb. That gilding paste is now in my garbage can.

My bottle of BMF adhesive is only about 25% full, so I ordered some Micro-Sol foil adhesive from Sunward Hobbies in Mississauga (Toronto suburb). Hopefully it should work well. At least the shipping was free with a $60 CDN order. I got 3 bottles of foil adhesive, some decal setting solution, and some Tamiya extra-thin glue.

I'll let you know how well the Micro-Sol adhesive works.

ALF

P1480467.JPG

P1480468.JPG

On 1/1/2024 at 10:30 AM, dustiepal said:

You can also get Bare Metal Foil Adhesive here:

https://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=BARBMF86

Dave

Thanks for the tip. Good price on the adhesive... but the shipping is $20+ CDN. The place I ordered from has a flat rate of $10 for shipping, and free shipping for orders over $60 CDN. I will browse around more on greathobbies.com to see if I can find cheaper shipping for future orders.

Do you pick up orders at the store? They're close to where you live.

ALF

6 hours ago, ALF18 said:

Thanks for the tip. Good price on the adhesive... but the shipping is $20+ CDN. The place I ordered from has a flat rate of $10 for shipping, and free shipping for orders over $60 CDN. I will browse around more on greathobbies.com to see if I can find cheaper shipping for future orders.

Do you pick up orders at the store? They're close to where you live.

ALF

I usually go to the store in Missisauga, they also have a store in Ottawa. There store in Missisauga is conected to their warehouse, the warehouse has a massive online selection. I just pick my order up at the store about a half hour away.

Dave

17 hours ago, dustiepal said:

I usually go to the store in Missisauga, they also have a store in Ottawa. There store in Missisauga is conected to their warehouse, the warehouse has a massive online selection. I just pick my order up at the store about a half hour away.

Dave

Cool. I sometimes go to Ottawa, so I might just use the pick-up option there. Thanks Dave.

ALF

• 1 month later...

All right! Superbowl is over. I've also gotten out from under a pile of work, so had a bit of time for modelling. Yes, I'm supposed to be retired - but my old Aviation College made me an offer I can't refuse to teach online from home. These days, easy money when working from home is nothing to sneeze at, especially when models are begging to be bought... 🙂

It has taken me a long time to foil this one, because it's huge (that's what she said).

P1480470.thumb.JPG.3d036e7eea89586fbfb44dbe6468570f.JPG

I did most of it with the shiny side of the foil up, because I love shiny jets.

On the bottom, the painted patches get nicely framed with the straight lines from the foil applied afterward. I touched up the paint brush streaks later.

P1480471.JPG

P1480473.JPG

P1480476.thumb.JPG.ceb130b003f3d2cbb24083ea5b0aac3e.JPGP1480474.thumb.JPG.d65920c0afc805e1f7ea6fb8b98b6bd5.JPG

It's not perfect, but I am relearning techniques to foil properly. I will be focusing on proper technique for some later builds, like some CF-104s from that great 1/32 Italeri kit. 

I painted the nav and anticollision lights with permanent Lumocolor markers.

P1480477.JPG

A quick floor polish application, then decals. Calling this one finished. Beside it on the shelf, you can see the other 1/32 contemporary jets I've built - the two-seat Italeri, a Belcher Bits conversion to F-5A from F-5E, and an Academy CF-18B.

ALF

P1480478.JPG

P1480479.JPG

P1480481.JPG

P1480482.JPG