FAA Corsair roundel question

Currently Building a Tamiya Corsair using the Montex Masks and I'm doing a 1834 Squadron Corsair of Sub Lt Durno. It shows the wing roundels with a red then white inner center, the actual aircraft in black and white seems to show this as well. I have never seen this style before and haven't been able to find any info on this type of roundel. Does anyone have any info on this type of roundel, if this is correct and when and how long they were the used for. Thanks Ray 

chance-vought-corsair-mk-ii-sub-lt-leslie-durno-no-1834-squadron-fleet-air-arm-hms-victorious-1944.jpg

d9db7c81.png

Don’t believe everything you read.  There was absolutely red being used in US insignias in the Pacific.  Not a lot, but it was very much there in 1943.  There were squadrons that used red as a trim color (P-38s, F4Fs), and there were red outlined US insignias.  

I have looked at those RN roundels, I think there is as good a chance as not that the inner ring was red.  In any even, British red was so dark it was almost brown, so it’s not like you would be able to see that tiny amount of it from more than a few yards away.

I don't think red makes sense.  British standard insignia had a red inner circle, white ring, and a blue ring outermost.  The Indian Ocean Fleet and the RAF in the CBI used a blue ring around a white or pale blue circle.  No red rings anywhere; the local-mix to reduce the size of the inner white/pale blue seems to be the most logical answer IMO.