New Tool Chinook From Airfix

I was surprised to see this being issued as a new tool. The Italeri kit that Airfix re-issued in the past is not a bad kit and if it gets the correct modern composite blades, it depicts an RAF HC1 or CH-47D version. Still, with so many decal options, Airfix will probably do well with this new tool.

LD.  

I'm really looking forward to this kit. According to scalemates decals are for a Op Granby-version (Gulf War 1991) and for the legendary "Bravo November".

HAJO

On 1/14/2024 at 9:09 AM, Loach Driver said:

I was surprised to see this being issued as a new tool. The Italeri kit that Airfix re-issued in the past is not a bad kit and if it gets the correct modern composite blades, it depicts an RAF HC1 or CH-47D version. Still, with so many decal options, Airfix will probably do well with this new tool.

Airfix today (as a Hornby company) is not the same as Airfix of old (when it had other owners).  I don't believe that they've ever stated it anywhere explicitly, but I think it's pretty clear that Hornby aren't interested in leasing tools, period; they do everything in-house.  I'd hazard a guess that they also believe their new kit will be better than the Italeri.  (Time will tell if that belief is justified.)

On 1/13/2024 at 10:09 PM, Loach Driver said:

LD.  

The first re-issue of the Italeri kit under the Airfix label retained the original depiction of the metal blades:

137652-11185-pristine.jpg

The content of the second boxing, however, was modified to include the composite ones instead:

109398-10000-pristine.jpg

As I still have seven Chinooks in the stash, I don't really need any more - but with the forthcoming Airfix one priced at £33.99, if I do get any further examples, they'll likely be the above boxing when they start appearing more frequently on eBay, where they'll be a lot cheaper...

Hopefully it will have product support from Airfix. I emailed their replacement part email for this part and they said no luck. Maybe it will be the same on the new release.  All I need to finish a build. 🙄

IMG_2807.jpeg

8 hours ago, kg4kpg said:

Hopefully it will have product support from Airfix. I emailed their replacement part email for this part and they said no luck. Maybe it will be the same on the new release.  All I need to finish a build.

Might be worth trying Revell, as their MH-47E (Cat No. 03876) is another derivative of the original Italeri kit (so same part number, A14) - they will probably charge you for it, though:  https://www.revell-service.de/en-us/spare-parts-service/