1/48 Hobbyboss U-2R to a NASA ER-2

Just picked up the HB U-2R, what if any modifications are needed to make it into a NASA ER-2?  I already have the Caracal decals.  

Also, besides BAM Models, does anyone make seated pilots for U-2/SR-71?  I've also seen the ones on Shapeways.  

Thanks  

Edited by eraucubsfan
  • eraucubsfan changed the title to 1/48 Hobbyboss U-2R to a NASA ER-2

There are quite a lot of differences. The cockpit differs from the U-2R, being a mix of the old Block 10 and some new digital gauges. The nose and Super Pods would need modifications as well due to different measuring equipment. The pitot tubes underneath the nose are modified due to the nose shape. Wing tips are shaped differently as well.

_dsc0084.jpg?w=827&h=465

_dsc7093.jpg?w=827&h=465

1-highflyingna.jpg

Note the spine antenna below

_dsc7026.jpg?w=1290&h=726

U-2R Cockpit

070712-F-1234P-005.JPG

ER-2 Cockpit

256355main_ED99-45286-72_full.jpg

Edited by jtalex94
On 2/13/2024 at 3:04 AM, eraucubsfan said:

Just picked up the HB U-2R, what if any modifications are needed to make it into a NASA ER-2?  I already have the Caracal decals.  

Also, besides BAM Models, does anyone make seated pilots for U-2/SR-71?  I've also seen the ones on Shapeways.  

Thanks  

Better try a 1:72 pilot.

Here is my (correctly sized) SR-1 seat in the HB U-2R cockpit...

SR%20Seat%20in%20HB%20Tub.jpg

I think a whole new tub is needed before we can go anywhere.

J

Edited by JeffreyK

Hmm, thank for the info guys.   It is possible that the ER-2 has been modified over the years and I could go back to a date where it wasn't as much difference?  

@JeffreyK  Your photo isn't showing up 

image.png.fe5449728e1be810b8ee2cd5f3d8ce4b.png  Also, it looks like the cockpit decal looks pretty close to what the ER-2 looks like 

4 hours ago, eraucubsfan said:

Hmm, thank for the info guys.   It is possible that the ER-2 has been modified over the years and I could go back to a date where it wasn't as much difference?  

image.png.fe5449728e1be810b8ee2cd5f3d8ce4b.png  Also, it looks like the cockpit decal looks pretty close to what the ER-2 looks like 

I re-embedded the photo, I hope it works now?

J

4 hours ago, eraucubsfan said:

That does look quite close! Funny enough with the subject being a U-2R. 

2 hours ago, Pieter said:

The ER-2 did fly with the Senior Spur as you can see in this picture made by me

2 ER-2 80-1063 706.jpg

WOW!!!

That is a nice "under servicing" type of photo!!!!!!!!!! Would love to see any others from the same occasion!

Best regards

Gabor

6 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

WOW!!!

That is a nice "under servicing" type of photo!!!!!!!!!! Would love to see any others from the same occasion!

Best regards

Gabor

Wow that's a great shot. I stand corrected on the spur, I just haven't seen it on recent ER-2 sorties. I'll ask my coworker who flies the ER-2 to see if they still do. You can even see the folded wingtips as well which is quite rare to see.