So I got round to starting this beauty/beast at the weekend.

First piccie is for comparison. left to right we have an A310, A380, A330. Look how the wide bodied, long range A310 has a wingspan equal to one A380 wing :lol:

The completed model has (according Revell) a length of 50cm and a wingspan of 55cm :lol:

To put this into perspective, in 1/72 this kit would be 1m long and 1.1m wide!!!!! :( :P

Spent this afternoon on the sofa watching taped episodes of Law & Order with Mrs Nev and working on the undercarriage. Done 3 of the 5, yes thats right, 5 (five) of the undercarriage legs & their bays. A bit worried about the nose gear though as it seems a bit flimsy.......

Just had time to give them a quick spray with the last dregs of my can of Halfords primer before it got dark

She will be Qatar Airways or Singapore Airlines using the Brasil Decals sheet (which hopefully I will be getting this weekend). Probly Qatar first, however I do intend to do both as well as the "company" scheme and possibly a BA one as well :lol: Four A380s should just about fit in the loft :cheers:

The cat (Meg) is a Tortie Burmese for those who like to know these kind of things, however her Tortie markings aren't very strong and at first glance she looks like a black Burmese, though her fur is actually a dark red/brown. Oh and her purr sounds like a pidgeon cooing, its hilarious :thumbsup:

And yes, I do hope to build the A310 (Hapag Lloyd blue scheme) and A330 (Aer Lingus). Mrs Nev wants me to build the A330 ahead of everything else cos she likes the green :)

Looking good Nev!! I've a soft spot for the A330 myself but don't have one in the collection yet, I'd love to do a Thomas Cook one but I don't think anyone does decals for it. The A380 kit is just too big for me and I don't really think she's a good looking plane either (Sorry Airbus!! A real ugly duckling I'm afraid)

Is the cat 1/1 or a smaller scale? :cheers: Ours also loves sleeping coiled up on her back, taking up as much bedspace as possible!!

Eng

:thumbsup:

I don't really think she's a good looking plane either

Heretic!!!!!

Burn him!!!

:cheers:

;)

And I'd seen Pierres A380 before, but not when it was all lit up...............................one word.

Wow. :D

• 1 month later...

Now that my Phantom & DC-6 are done, I've been able to get stuck into my A380 again :worship:

No thanks to Revell though for making me fill in all their opened windows :D There are 210 of them (I counted) :) After nearly 2 hours work I've only got another 20 or so left to go

Painted up the cockpit - didn't go to town, just enough to give it a veneer of respectability :) Glued 3 of the undercarriage bays together too, though I'm still not convinced about their strength - especially of the nose gear :D

I've glued together 1 wing and provided my DC-6B as a size comparison.

Chugging along nicely Nev.... :worship:

What did you use to fill in the windows. Currently I use Magic tape on the outside, and put CA on the inside and run a bead of it afterwards to make sure it does not leave any depressions after it cures. However there is still cleanup involved and also the tape is stuck on, so I have to remove what I can and sand the rest.

Anyone have any better ways of doing this?

:o

Nenad

Tamiya masking tape on the outside, then use Humbrol filler on the inside, using a curved x-acto blade to work it into the windows. Leave it overnight to dry and pull the tape off. Seems to have worked OK so far.

Tamiya masking tape on the outside, then use Humbrol filler on the inside, using a curved x-acto blade to work it into the windows. Leave it overnight to dry and pull the tape off. Seems to have worked OK so far.

...or 2 part epoxy resin, same deal, tape the outside and run the resin into the holes. Allow to dry and (easily) peel the tape off. Some air holes may need filling from the outside.

Got the fuselage halves together last night. As you can see, she's stood on her undercarriage - following the Revell instructions for this one. I'm already getting a similar vibe for my big Revell tornado ie high quality, but not much strength in the construction due to thin plastic and lack of sizable locating points etc.