C-130J-30 as a tanker?

We had KC-130J stop through TYS earlier this week. My co-worker, who is not an airplane guy, noted how stubby it was. 
That got me thinking as to why the longer stretched Herk wasn't looked at for the tanker role. Maybe the extra fuel via an internal Benson Tank, plus wing and internals isnt worth the effort over a standard? Just thinking out loud. 

-Jeff

The Marines had two KC-130T-30s [164597  & 164598] they used for tanking.  But mostly for cargo.  The Marines do not have any KC-130J-30 models. I don't think the Air Force wants to waste a stretched Herk for a tanker.

Edited by Dutch

The advantage of the -30 is being able to carry more volume of cargo, i.e. more pallets or troops, but the weight limits are not that different. That's probably determined by the wing structural limits which is common between the two variants. The extra volume on the -30 is unnecessary for the aerial refueling role. This mission runs into weight limits before you run out of volume, even in the short 130s.  The stretch version has a higher empty weight, so it's going to be heavier at all similar payload weights meaning longer takeoff and landing runs. There really is no advantage except for when you need the extra space.

44 minutes ago, Crash Test Dummy said:

The advantage of the -30 is being able to carry more volume of cargo, i.e. more pallets or troops, but the weight limits are not that different. That's probably determined by the wing structural limits which is common between the two variants. The extra volume on the -30 is unnecessary for the aerial refueling role. This mission runs into weight limits before you run out of volume, even in the short 130s.  The stretch version has a higher empty weight, so it's going to be heavier at all similar payload weights meaning longer takeoff and landing runs. There really is no advantage except for when you need the extra space.

I was thinking that direction. The gains just weren't there. 
Thanks!

The Marine dash 30 tankers had a problem with the hoses out and recievers

the turbulence was making the fuselage twist. I talked to a guy that was in the Marines 

and got out and went in the AF Reserves at Patrick and he said you could stand in

the cargo compartment forward of the wheel well and see it twist. Yikes! 

Cheers....Ron

Those MCARS pods the T2 and the MC-130W were horrible! The variable drag drogue was a mess too. 

When I was with Lockheed I went to Hurlburt and flew on the MC-W to refuel CV's and 60's and the drogue 

when you'd spped up would sometimes collapse and just whip around hoping it didn't hit the stabilizer. 

Slow back down and it would reinflate. Was pretty annoying!

Cheers...Ron