REMJ 3D Print Files

I have very little knowledge of 3D printers or this product. https://www.remj.co.uk/

They have an extensive product catalog.

I assume this is a new concept - selling 3D files so you can print your own parts. I'd have to purchase a 3D printer. Anyone have any thoughts? How easy is it to print? Could there be quality/accuracy issues?

Thanks!

I highly recommend it. Recently, I inaugurated my printer with them, and I could print on the first try (the models come pre-supported); the models I have also include a PDF file for the decals.

You need a 3D printer, but these days, there are several budget options if you want to get one, or it isn't rare to find a printing service locally.

They recently published my models on their Facebook page; both are built using only what is included in the files without ad-ons or modifications.

Edited by cruiz
5 hours ago, cruiz said:

I highly recommend it. Recently, I inaugurated my printer with them, and I could print on the first try (the models come pre-supported); the models I have also include a PDF file for the decals.

You need a 3D printer, but these days, there are several budget options if you want to get one, or it isn't rare to find a printing service locally.

They recently published my models on their Facebook page; both are built using only what is included in the files without ad-ons or modifications.

Thank you for the advice! Is there a type of printer that I need to use to ensure quality?

I'm a noob regarding 3D printing, but these are some considerations to the best of my understanding.

Most recent models of resin 3D printers, known as SLA printers, will be adequate.

Of these printers, there are two main characteristics to consider: 

The printing volume will dictate the maximum model size allowed and the number of pieces you can print in one go; the bigger, the better.

The resolution is mainly associated with the quality of printing; this one is tricky because manufacturers advertise the same way as displays (2K, 4K ... 12K), but what matters is the minimum pixel size (x, y-axis); the smaller, the better; some people consider anything below 50 micrometers (um) as acceptable, in my case, printing at 35 um still leaves printing markings visible under magnification that I quickly removed with some light sanding, but is more of a personal choice.

I find the printing process easier compared to the post-processing necessary; this consists of the cleaning and curing of the printed pieces, and it is messier; for this, I highly recommend a clean & curing station, which is often available from the same printer manufacturer; using them will make the process safer and straightforward.

In my case, I have an Anycubic Photon Mono 4k, which gives me a 35 um x,y resolution, which is adequate for me, but with a somewhat limited printing volume, I was able to print the 1/48 navy tractors and it will be fine for other parts and accessories in the same scale but the carrier deck from remj.uk doesn't fit in it.

I'm sure other fellows in the forums have a far better understanding and will give you better advice regarding this topic.

Carlos

Thank you again. That helps! I was hoping I would be able to print the carrier part 2 product for a reasonable price, but I guess it's kind of complicated.

Edited by B2Blain

3D printing is not a press-button thing. It takes a bit of time and dedication to learn to set up your printer and get the best out of it. Also, you need to think of a printer as only one component in a network of things ("ecosystem" is the new-fangled term).

Even if you don't design your own stuff in CAD, you need a computer to run your slicer software (which creates the file readable for your printer, with all the specific printer, printing and resin parameters), a place for the printer where it's safe to operate (well ventilated, but also a stable climate, and where the occasional drop of resin etc. isn't the end of the world), a resin washing installation (a wash and cure station at a minimum, but better to have multiple stages of washing), supply of cleaning alcohol, a place to safely store the washed prints to let them completely dry, a post-curing station.

If there's really only that one thing you'd want to print I'd think twice if you want to make this investment. Otherwise, yes it can be a really good and fun (sometimes...) addition to the hobby.

For the kind of detail and size we're normally concerned with in say 1:48, I'd recommend the Phrozen Mini 8KS (22µm pixels). It's a really good printer for its price and in some aspects actually trumps it's much more expensive cousin, the Mini 8K. Another great printer is the Elegoo Mars 3, very slightly larger build area compared to the Phrozen, but also larger pixels (35µm).

For a larger size printer the Elegoo Saturn 2 and 3 are recommended.

J