Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

About cruiz

  • Rank
    Tenax Sniffer (Open a window!)

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

4,657 profile views
  1. This is good news; I always wondered why there was no kit in 1/48; being a subject operated by so many countries and with so many options for livery; I'll be getting one to make it in the Mexican Navy gray camo.
  2. Interesting question; some time ago, I saw a video on making car lens replacements in resin; because of the application, this material is supposed to be very clear and UV resistant. I wondered if it could be helpful for your intended purpose and not yellow over time. https://www.smooth-on.com/tutorials/creating-replacement-car-lens-crystal-clear-202/
  3. The same thing as Geoff said, never tried it myself, but a couple of guys I know did, and it worked. For the age of the decals, I would be more worried about their integrity; a layer of Microscale Liquid Decal Film should prevent them turn into pieces, and a Setting Solution will help to adhere them to the model. Carlos
  4. Thanks, Steve; we miss seeing your work around here. Thanks, Dutch. Thanks, David; I have to check my references closely because it's not easy to spot the stains behind the cowling; maybe I'll add them after the matt coat. The weathering on the underside is in progress; this time, I'm using W&N oils; they are still fresh and not thoroughly blended. The colors are different mixes of black, blue, red, green, white, and ochre yellow. This build is starting to exasperate me; while blending the oils with miner
  5. Thank you guys, @kellyF15, @Mr.Happy, @chukw, for your kind words. I am experimenting with different colors to build up the weathering; I try to get what would be a fresh layer of dirt and grime over a broader but softer base of stains and wear. An example of telling a story, the access panels for servicing the guns are weathered accordingly. The first two parts fold over themself while the third is removable, so I tried to represent the stains created while handling them by the edges; these stains could be a mix of grease and dirt
  6. I love the paintwork you have done here, Drew; the color texture you achieved is top-notch. Which of the Ushi's masks did you use to get that tight pattern?
  7. Before starting working with oils, the model got another coat of Tamiya's X-22 to protect the current weathering and washes. After seeing several videos in the past months on how to apply oils, I felt confident about this step, but the minute I was about to start, I just froze; I didn't know what to do. I went over my references and other builds online to better understand what I wanted; I decided to approach the weathering not as a whole but as a group of individual sections, each one telling its history. Starting with the fuselage's fuel tank stains, I tri
  8. It depends, generally they are made to fit the thick kit's parts unless it's included with the vacuformed canopy. In my experience, I've only seen one example, a frame for a B-17 canopy in a Verlinden's detail set, but instead of a vacuformed part, it has a sheet of acetate since the windows are flat.
  9. Thanks, it would've been the same work because the plasticard it's attached using cyano as you will do with a PE frame. The original plan was to use the PE frame included with the Aires set, but the dimensions are such to fit inside the kit part; it could work at the front because the frame in the real plane is as thick as the kit's part, but in the back, the frame is thinner so it wouldn't fit.
  10. Of course, here it is; this is 1/48 Corsair from Rob Taurus.
  11. I've used them only three times, two of them because they were the only way to depict an open canopy in an effective manner (Hurricane in 1/48 and a Zero in 1/72). The third and most recent was to replace a broken windscreen but ended using both parts of the canopy because of its fine thickness allowing adding the internal ribbing detail. They are not easy to work with; the external framing detail is not as sharp as a kit part, but the clarity is superior, and the thickness is more on-scale. Here's a link to a modeler who has the habit of replacing canopies
  12. Glad things are going better for you, Steve; thank you for keeping this place for us but first, take care of yourself. Also, let us know if we can help somehow.
  13. Exhaust stains. The first time I used Tamiya's smoke for this, I liked the hue; honestly, I don't know if it's intended for this kind of work or tinting canopies due to the glossy finish, but it was easier than using pigments to create this pattern. Thanks for watching.
  14. Congratulations, Chuck; even if we are used to seeing your exceptional works, something always stands out; that radar is outstanding.
  • Create New...