Represents C-130E 64-0495 of the 41st Airlift Squadron, 23d Wing, during the brief time when Air Combat Command operated much of the USAF's CONUS-based slick C-130 fleet.

First build of the Minicraft Herk for me, I used C-130H boxing no. 14649.  Only additions were the SATCOM antenna and what I presume to be a blade antenna just above the cockpit.  Paint is Model Master enamel FS 36173.  Decals are a mix of kit, spares box, and custom ALPS-printed markings.  The walkways and some common markings came from one of Minicraft's more recent C-130J boxings.  The tiger mouth & eyes are from TwoBobs no. 72-025.

Thanks for looking,

Chris

thumbnail-IMG-7380r.jpg

thumbnail-IMG-7381r.jpg

thumbnail-IMG-7382r.jpg

thumbnail-IMG-7383r.jpg

thumbnail-IMG-7386r.jpg

thumbnail-IMG-7385r.jpg

thumbnail-IMG-7388r.jpg

thumbnail-IMG-7389r.jpg

Edited by Gator52
  • Gator52 changed the title to 1/144 C-130E Pope AFB, 1995

Nice job Chris! Gotta love a Herk in any scale....A Dyess H in SEA 

paint and the 463rd patch on the fuselage would be my favorite. 

Looking at  yours  I can almost smell the puke and hydraulic fluid

mix on the inside!

Cheers...Ron

Beautiful Herk, Chris!  Nicely done.  I like the subtle weathering as well.  Thanks for capturing this short lived scheme.  Did you have any troubles getting the canopy to fit the extra wide fuselage?  I have had no end of trouble getting mine to fit correctly.  I finally bondoed it up and used window decals on my first three examples.  I will try to narrow the fuselage halves on my future Minicraft Herks.  Can't wait for the GWH 1/144 C-130H to arrive. K/r, Dutch

Thanks Dutch; my sample's windscreen part was wider than the fuselage, especially on the lower edge...sounds like exchanging clear parts might have smoothed the way for both of us 🙂

Looking forward to the GWH C-130 also; I am not a Herk expert but believe it should be easy to backdate the H to an E...?

Chris

On 3/9/2024 at 8:27 PM, Gator52 said:

Thanks Dutch; my sample's windscreen part was wider than the fuselage, especially on the lower edge...sounds like exchanging clear parts might have smoothed the way for both of us 🙂

Looking forward to the GWH C-130 also; I am not a Herk expert but believe it should be easy to backdate the H to an E...?

Chris

Sorry, that's what I meant: windscreen wider than fuselage.  I sanded the port side and lost the windscreen and lower window detail.  Also need to add a thin piece of sprue between clear piece and radome to fill the gap.  I made a mental note to shim fuselage top seam on my future builds.  I am beginning to wonder if my mother-in-law's dementia is contagious!  🙃