Hello all,

The good lady would like to visit San Diego later in the year. Having been twice before (she has never been) I happened to mention that the MCAS Miramar airshow is on at the end of September... a seed has been planted 🤣

Anyway, has anyone on here been to the airshow? Looking for any tips on travel to and from given crowds etc.

Cheers

Dave

I went to the show for the last time in 1994. I live about 2 miles from MCAS Miramar and it took me 2 hours to get home. I  probably could have walked home in 30 minutes. The Airshow draws about 500,000 people over the three days it is held. If I was going to go again, I'd try to park off the base and take a shuttle. September is the hottest month of the year in San Diego and their is no shade on the base. Stay hydrated and wear lots of sunscreen. 

Edited by Cat Barf

We go most years, I guess the key is to try to go on Friday, Go as early as possible. There's very little parking off base. Parking on base and shuttle but I would plan on walking and lots of it. A lot of waiting around also it's a slow moving day throughout.  For a pleasant day do not be in a hurry for anything.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Cat Barf said:

I went to the show for the last time in 1994. I live about 2 miles from MCAS Miramar and it took me 2 hours to get home. I  probably could have walked home in 30 minutes. The Airshow draws about 500,000 people over the three days it is held. If I was going to go again, I'd try to park off the base and take a shuttle. September is the hottest month of the year in San Diego and their is no shade on the base. Stay hydrated and wear lots of sunscreen. 

52 minutes ago, ScottS said:

We go most years, I guess the key is to try to go on Friday, Go as early as possible. There's very little parking off base. Parking on base and shuttle but I would plan on walking and lots of it. A lot of waiting around also it's a slow moving day throughout.  For a pleasant day do not be in a hurry for anything.

Thanks fellas!

We're staying in Downtown San Diego so I'm thinking of getting an Uber from the hotel to the show on the Friday morning. I had a look on Google maps and there appears to be a few good looking breweries not far from the base, so we'd probably end up walking to a few of these after the show then Uber back downtown unless there's a show shuttle from downtown?

Edited by Dave1089

I live about 2 miles from the base, and I don't know of any shuttles from downtown, or anywhere, really, to the show (but then, I don't really look, living so close).  I haven't had any real issues with parking on base, but always go early.  Friday can be a good day to go, but sometimes there are acts that don't perform that day, so I usually go on Saturday, and sometimes go back on Sunday.

I would buy tickets in advance, and for where depends on what you want to do.  I think the best views are actually in the bleachers, but they're not the most comfortable and don't have any shade.  I go for photo taking, so I'm always in the bleachers, but there are sections with more comfortable chairs and even food and drink, but they cost more.  There can be long lines at the food vendor booths, especially later in the day, so planning ahead helps there.

I would check the show's site and make sure you know what you can and can't bring on base to avoid hitting any snags going in.

I have some photos from last year's show in case you'd like to get an idea of the types of performers that attend.

Posted (edited)
On 3/28/2024 at 4:38 AM, Ken Cartwright said:

I live about 2 miles from the base, and I don't know of any shuttles from downtown, or anywhere, really, to the show (but then, I don't really look, living so close).  I haven't had any real issues with parking on base, but always go early.  Friday can be a good day to go, but sometimes there are acts that don't perform that day, so I usually go on Saturday, and sometimes go back on Sunday.

I would buy tickets in advance, and for where depends on what you want to do.  I think the best views are actually in the bleachers, but they're not the most comfortable and don't have any shade.  I go for photo taking, so I'm always in the bleachers, but there are sections with more comfortable chairs and even food and drink, but they cost more.  There can be long lines at the food vendor booths, especially later in the day, so planning ahead helps there.

I would check the show's site and make sure you know what you can and can't bring on base to avoid hitting any snags going in.

I have some photos from last year's show in case you'd like to get an idea of the types of performers that attend.

Thanks Ken. I've signed up for notifications from the show's website so will keep an eye on it for seating and dates. So from looking, an uber to the front gate then a shuttle to the flight line, does that sound about right?

Looks like I need my passport to enter so hopefully plain sailing there!

Any photos you have would be great to see!

Edited by Dave1089

Hi Dave,

I'm not too bright sometimes, and I didn't notice you were from the UK until I read the comment about your passport.  I have seen several people there from other countries, so I don't think that's an issue. 

I do not know of any shuttles from the gate to the flight line, only from the parking areas, so being dropped off at the gate would be a long haul.  I don't know that I can make the Friday show, but I plan on being at the Saturday show, so if you're going that day and would like, I could either pick you up from the hotel and you could ride to the show with me, or if it's easier for you, have an Uber drop you off near the gate and you could just ride to the parking area with me. I understand if that's not something that would work out for you, but I'm happy to do it if it would help.

Here are my photos from last year's show:

https://www.techflyer.net/images/mm2023/mm23.htm

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2024 at 12:16 AM, Ken Cartwright said:

Hi Dave,

I'm not too bright sometimes, and I didn't notice you were from the UK until I read the comment about your passport.  I have seen several people there from other countries, so I don't think that's an issue. 

I do not know of any shuttles from the gate to the flight line, only from the parking areas, so being dropped off at the gate would be a long haul.  I don't know that I can make the Friday show, but I plan on being at the Saturday show, so if you're going that day and would like, I could either pick you up from the hotel and you could ride to the show with me, or if it's easier for you, have an Uber drop you off near the gate and you could just ride to the parking area with me. I understand if that's not something that would work out for you, but I'm happy to do it if it would help.

Here are my photos from last year's show:

https://www.techflyer.net/images/mm2023/mm23.htm

Thanks Ken, great images there!

Appreciate the offer Ken, very kind, but looks like we will be going on the Friday as the other half wants to relax on Saturday before our flight home on Sunday.

Silly question, but since I'm a fan of the movie, is the 'Fightertown USA' hanger still there or is it long gone after the move to Fallon?

They're still there, just no longer with the "Fightertown USA" moniker ...

02.jpg

an-aerial-view-of-the-flight-line-on-mar

an-aerial-view-of-the-flight-line-on-mar

(Photos from the interwebs ...)

HTH ...

-Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost