1/24th OV-10D+ Bronco

• 2 weeks later...

The cockpit is pretty much done. The next step if the shelf behind the observer's seat. There are the main circuit panels, relays and inverters to be mounted. Here are some shot if the start of the circuit breaker panels and the relay panel.

afteshelf35su.th.jpg afteshelf27uz.th.jpg afteshelf15vv.th.jpg

Here are the Circuit Breaker panels, inverters and relays in place. There is also a shot of a "mystery box" that hangs off the edge of the electrics shelf just right of the observer's seat. A shot of the real thing included. BTW if anyone can identify that box I'm curious as to what it is.

Timmy!

eshelf42zh.th.jpg eshelf34wa.th.jpg eshelf20oj.th.jpg eshelf14dr.th.jpg

Hi sir!!!

If my hunch is right, its still a part of the circuit breaker system, but I'm not sure.I've only seen this on your cockpit shot of the D+. I've never seen this one in my dad's OV-10A...

Try asking our friends at the yahoo ov_10fans group, I'm sure someone knows this item ;)

But still, great job on scratchbuilding it! :thumbsup:

As for me, before I proceed with correcting the Academy kit details, I (and a senior member of IPMS Philippines Bert Anido Chapter[the same guy who scratchbuild the HU-16 Albatross in Phil. AF scheme {see our gallery}]) will attemp to build 2 1/32 scale OV-10As in styrene based on this card model by Dr. Emil Zarkov

Bronco10.jpg

hope this works! :woot.gif:

Hans,

I think you are right about the mystery box. I am very intrigued by the paper to plastic model conversion. I never occurred to me to go that way, but there is no reason why it would work.

Here are some shots of the forward windscreen in place. Getting the three parts of the canopy on is slow progress. There are a million things that need to be installed each of them seem cause there own problems. I spent a bunch of time planning the construction steps.

Clear parts are my Achilles Heel and are proving to be tough. One thing I found out that has saved my bacon on several occasions now is that the acrylic that I molded the canopy from is resistant to acetone - so I have been able to get the excess super glue and superglue impressions of my finger tips off of the parts.

finwindscrn45be.th.jpg finwindscrn33yd.th.jpg finwindscrn27kp.th.jpg finwindscrn13bh.th.jpg

Hans,

I think you are right about the mystery box. I am very intrigued by the paper to plastic model conversion. I never occurred to me to go that way, but there is no reason why it would work.

Thanks sir!!! Well I'm going to build it in card first, so that I'll have an idea on what to expect when we finally do it in sheet plastic. I'll also post an in-progress thread about it when I have some time.

About that mystery box, well since the D+ have plus more electronic equipment than the A, I think it was intended for those items... But like I've said before, I'm not really sure.

The only Bronco that I came close with (many times, since childhood) was the A, and more recently, the C variant when the RTAF transferred their OV-10s to the Phil AF...

Clear parts were you're Achilles heel you say, well for me, I DON'T think so...

the windscreen is very clear to see the insides in great contrast. Its just superb!

Hey, why don't you submit an article for this one in FSM? This will be a great FSM Showcase build sir!!! <_<

And yes, please post a perspective photo of the fuselage!

Hey guys thanks again for the kind words!!!

For Jake and Hans, here are some overall shots. The cargo bay is not yet complete, the center section the part of the wing. This section will have to wait until I get ready to attach the wing.

A note about my construction technique. The bottom curved section will be built-up once the canopy is secured and I'm sure that this section is square. I am going to vacuum form the more complex shape of the nose later as well.

Timmy!

longshot88ax.th.jpg longshot109yw.th.jpg longshot24tx.th.jpg longshot42on.th.jpg

Now that's something I've been looking for!!! :worship:

Keep it up Sir!!!!

I'm not gonna be surprised if this build will win a major model show. It will certainly bag some pretty big prizes, I'm betting for best aircraft, people's choice, best subject etc... :D