I had intended to start with the Hase F-14A+ (kit #P23) but didn't have all the material needed to get started on it. So I opted for the Revell F-14D, only because I already had a detail set and the decals are on the way. And besides it builds a little quicker than the Hase Tomcat. Though it is a challenge!

So with any swing wing jet I start with the wings. Quickly slapping them together, clean the seams and shoot a little primer to check the edges and then put them aside. Reading other reviews, some have mentioned warped wings on some of their kits. I was fortunate not to have that problem. However! there was an awful mold line along the spine to the nose on the upper fuselage 1/2. Might as well been a glue seam to clean up.!

P1020001.JPG

With the wings put aside I then started on the cockpit. Using MM Dk Gull Grey (36231)to paint the interior components and inside the upper fuselage. I will be using Eduards PE set for the Revell F-14D (48304) to enhance the stock cockpit.

P1020004.JPG

This set will also improve the canopy and landing gear. Starting on the cockpit tub, removing the upper rear bulk head and grinding off part of the quadrant to later accept the PE replacement parts. Which I will install later.

P1020005.JPG

The seats in the kit are the correct Martin Baker Naces seats for the Delta Cat. Though I would prefer resin replacements. I'll just save them for the Hase F-14D. After enhancing the kit seats with Eduards PE bits they will suffice for this build.

P1020001_1.JPG

Painting the seats with Aeromaster Dk Green (sage) for the cushions, MM Ft Black for the frames. Aeromaster Lt Grey for the seatbelts and harnesses. Yellow and Black will be used for the ejection handle.

Well thats it for now, back to more building. More images to follow as this build progresses. Guten Nacht from So. Cal.

Chuck

Fly Navy

Since this topic is for the Revell F-14D I've added my questions here instead of creating a new topic...

1) once of my wing bottoms is pretty warped, should I straighten it before glueing the two halfs together or glue them together and then straighten it?

2) same question for the fuselage: the front portion of my bottom fuselage is warped. Should I glue the rear together and fix the warping with the two parts together, or fix the warping before glueing the parts together?

3) How hot should the water be and how long should I leave the pieces before trying to fix the warping.

4) Finally, I'm also using the Eduard set 48034. With the throttle piece, should I paint it first and then bend it and glue it in, or should I bend it first and then glue it?

Thanks.

Kevin

Since this topic is for the Revell F-14D I've added my questions here instead of creating a new topic...

1) once of my wing bottoms is pretty warped, should I straighten it before glueing the two halfs together or glue them together and then straighten it?

2) same question for the fuselage: the front portion of my bottom fuselage is warped. Should I glue the rear together and fix the warping with the two parts together, or fix the warping before glueing the parts together?

3) How hot should the water be and how long should I leave the pieces before trying to fix the warping.

4) Finally, I'm also using the Eduard set 48034. With the throttle piece, should I paint it first and then bend it and glue it in, or should I bend it first and then glue it?

Thanks.

Kevin

I was lucky mine did not have the wing warp as some others have.

2. Did not have any warpage on the front part of the fuselage but did have an awful mold seam at the spine all the way to the nose. Might as well been a glue seam.

3. Don't know that one since I've never tried though I am about to on some rotor blades for Hind-24 to show some droop.

4. I painted the throttle quadrant 1st then worked it into shape and touched it up after installation.

images on that to follow this weekend.

Chuck

Fly Navy

Good luck with that!

Mine had pretty bad warpage, hope yours doesnt :cheers:

Question, what squadron are you building as?

No wing warpage, leaning on an Enduring Freedom VF-31 bird. But still playing the field.

Chuck

Fly Navy

• 2 weeks later...

As we slowly get this baby together at this point doing the PE work on the seats and cockpit from the Eduards set. Adding a little more detail in the cockpit by installing the center bulkhead detail panels, rudder pedals and front inner side panels really enhances the pilots section of the pit.

P1150005.JPG

P1150006.JPG

Next on the seats, added seatbelts and seat adjust levers. Not in the image but also the ejection pull handle in front of the lower seat cushion.

P1150004.JPG

Next step is to complete the pit area, paint the detail bits on the upper fuselage 1/2. As well as adding the Pe and film bits to each of the instrument panels. Definately not a quick build Revell kit which is normal.

Chuck

Fly Navy

That is a great idea I have considered since they've become available recently.

Usually the line bird are pretty clean and I prefer the out at sea not quite cleaned every 15 days look.

Chuck

Fly Navy

That is a great idea I have considered since they've become available recently.

Usually the line bird are pretty clean and I prefer the out at sea not quite cleaned every 15 days look.

Chuck

Fly Navy

Hey Chuck,

if you want a bird thats dirty then yes the new VF-101 is the way to go. I am telling you the Show Birds and even the line jets a freakin dirty, I mean really dirty!

Check these links for some dirty VF-101 jets!

VF-101

More VF-101

Hope this helps

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Well it has been awhile, so lets get back in the saddle. Had DSL problems over the weekend so hence the delay. But now I get an update on this cat. I know have all the material gathered to complete the build. VF decal sheet of VF-101 are here as well as HobbyDecals transfer sheet for the missiles.

Re-exposure%20of%20P2100002.JPG

Going back into the cockpit tub, I have completed the instrument panels and installed them into the tub. Still need to do some detail painting on the consoles before installing it into the upper fuselage half.

This image of the RIO's panel before the detail bits installed.

P2060001.JPG

This shows both instrument panels installed.

P2060002.JPG

Will install the seats after all the painting is completed. Still a few little odds and ends to do for the final finish in the cockpit. Touch-up the consoles a bit as well as the control sticks and a levers to install. More to follow.

Chuck

Fly Navy

Edited by uscusn