Fw 190D-9 camo painted

Now that I have an airbrush again, I can PAINT ! YIPPEE !

The kit is Trimaster's 1/48 Fw 190D-9. I opened the incorrect closed wheel wells and added a Jumo 213 engine from an old DML Ta 152 kit.

The topside camo is all Model Master enamels. RLM 75 Gray Violet, RLM 83 Dark Green, and RLM 81 Brown Violet. The gray on the wings is said to be a gray primer, without an RLM number. I mixed Mitsubishi Navy Gray with a touch of black for the color. Topside colors are all freehand.

Fw190D9Camo001.sized.jpg

The undersurfaces are RLM 76 White Blue, with RLM 75 Gray Violet on the forward portion of the wing. Metallics are Alcad Duraluminum, White Aluminum, and Dark Aluminum. The underside was masked with drafting tape. There's still a little touchup remaining to be done, but I've put my airbrush down for the day.

Fw190D9Camo002.sized.jpg

It sure is nice to be able to paint once again !

Thanks Polo !

Glad that someone else besides me likes it. It's a fun kit to build, but you really need to add the engine. I'm lucky I had one, as I didn't want to build it without one.

Thanks again !

did you do all that paint job (camo + metalic undersides) in one session? how much can one achieve in an evening of airbrushing?

sorry.. forgot to add how nice a job you have made so far, i am working on a d9 at the moment and find looking at similar builds inspiring.

good luck :worship:

Edited by el'TJ

Thanks el*TJ !

This camo is a little more involved, with so many different colors. It was done during two 2-hour painting sessions. I normally do it all in one session, but I stop within 2 hours as the paint begins to cure then. Better safe than sorry !

Thanks again !

Thanks Marcin, gregax, skuki, Jan, and Zactoman !

gregax - EVERY model is different, and none are better than others. Take pride in the effort you put into your work. I'm looking forward to seeing some pics !

Jan - the underside is what drew me to these markings. The sheet (Eagle Cals #21, "Yellow Tailed D-9s") has markings for another bird with the same NMF and RLM 75 leading edge. The RLM is replaced with Blue-Green (sometimes called RLM "84"). This scheme will be next.

Zactoman - this model was sitting on my bench unpainted while I awaited delivery of my new airbrush. I almost couldn't wait to get started !

Thanks again !

Well, today was DECAL day !

The decals are from Eagle Cals. They went on beautifully. The spinner swirl still needs a few more applications of Micro Sol, but I believe it will snuggle down just fine.

Fw190D9Decalled001.sized.jpg

I really like the all-black crosses on the underside !

Fw190D9Decalled002.sized.jpg

Fw190D9Decalled003.sized.jpg

This is my favorite part of the sheet - data placards for the gear legs !

Fw190D9Decalled004.sized.jpg

Won't be too long before this baby's on my shelf !