Hasegawa Car Door Typhoon

Here's a couple of shots of my Hassy Typhoon which I brought up to the painting stage during my March break. It already has the undersides done and the ocean grey as the base. I am masking for the green now and should have the green on it by tommorrow. I am using Techmods decals for R.P. Beaumonts ride, a nice colourful bird (as far as tiffie's go). The white marks behind the canopy and to the front left are where I had to buff the paint down to the Mr. Surfacer to take out some sandpaper marks that I didn't notice until the basecoat went on. By the time I'm done You'll never know they were there.

John H.

Hi,

The underside is medium sea grey, which is masked. The topside is ocean grey, and the light grey splotches you see where I have to touch up is Mr. Surfacer, the primer/seam filler/all purpose wonder product. You can't see the underside masking because it has all been oversparayed with the dark ocean grey. I'll post more pics when I get it up to future/decal stage.

John H.

Yes I love the stuff, though all brands of blu-tac are not the same. I use Lepages (Henkel) brand called Fun-tak (in Canada) and it works well. I tried another brand by Ross called Tac 'n Stik which didn't exactly tac 'n stik that well. The trick to using this stuff is to make sure it is touching the model in all spots so as the paint doesn't seep under (also spray away from the blutak instead of into it). Fun-tak and Tamiya tape are my masks of choice.

John H.

Here it is with the green painted, and masking removed except for the cockpit and lights masking. I have actually done post shading on the green and grey inside the panel lines but this camera just isn't picking it up for some reason. I tried to be more subtle with it this time versus my previous models. I forgot to paint the yellow ID band across the chord of the wings, so that will be next followed by future and decals. Next update when that is finished, probably in two weeks, as I am back to work now.

John H.

Love it! :woo: That Blu Tac really makes camo spraying a snap. What is the US equivalent to Blu Tac and where is an easy place to find it?. Show us the completed model please. I have one half done. :banana:

Milt

What is the US equivalent to Blu Tac and where is an easy place to find it?

I've seen a few different variants, they usually come in a blister pack and look kinda like blue or yellow silly putty. Actually, I've heard of people just using silly putty...

here's a couple:

At StaplesStaples

At Office Depot Office Depot

Hope it helps,

Curtis

Edited by Holeshot

Now the interesting thing here is you've put masking tape over the blu-tak. I have tried this with just the blu-tak on and tried to v carefully spray inside the lines, but inevitably got some spray outside the line (well, it was a 1/144 Lancaster :D ). Your method is the way to solve that.

Right, that's what I noticed also. I was worried about trying it because of the over-spray but clearly that's not a problem with this method. And looking at the Staples and Office Depot references it's great to see the stuff is so cheap. A couple of bucks and I'll be ready to go.

And so I don't wander off the point of this thread, your Typhoon is looking great. Fantastic job on the paint. I can see some of the post shading but you're right, it's not showing very clearly in these photos.

Edited by David Walker
What is the US equivalent to Blu Tac and where is an easy place to find it?

I've seen a few different variants, they usually come in a blister pack and look kinda like blue or yellow silly putty. Actually, I've heard of people just using silly putty...

here's a couple:

At StaplesStaples

At Office Depot Office Depot

Hope it helps,

Curtis

Thanks Curtis/Holeshot! :lol:

Both those stores are close by and I will go find it today. It sure beats my old method of spacing cut paper card stock 1/8 inch off the fusalage.

MP