Monogram 1/48 A-10 -- In-Flight

I'd never tried making a Monogram A-10 with gear-up, so seeing Ken's made me want to give it a try. Overall, I'm pleased with the results, though I was working with a deadline on this one (tomorrow!), so I had to leave some stuff off, like the GPS antenna, LARS antennas, backing for the tape lights, etc. Doing it gear-up saved a lot of time, as I didn't have to detail an aftermarket cockpit, do the landing gear (worst part of the Monogram jet in terms of fit), and other little stuff. The ailerons are slightly deflected for the beginning of a left bank.

A huge thanks goes to Ken Middleton for the acrylic rod and brass tubing. Thanks, Ken!

-Tom

Tom, that came out damn fine! What are you talking about?! You are welcome on the rod and tubing - glad it worked out for you. How did you weather it? Looks nice. :thumbsup: The pilot looks good as well.

It looks like your pics suffered distortion during resizing - if you have the originals, you can send them to me and I will try and resize them for you. But is is up to you of course.

Holy Smokes Tom, it took me months to get where I am in the photos you saw - and this you did in a weekend or so?!?! :worship:

Looks great, think it's time I move to 48th scale - just wish someone would come out with a new molding!

I think I like the new talil flashing too ! :thumbsup:

Keep up the great work!!!

Mike

Edited by Mike Stephens

Hey Ken-

Thanks! All I did for weathering was highlight the panel lines with a pencil. I really like this technique. I usually brush on some charcoal, but 108 is a very clean airplane, so I elected not to. Seeing the new tail markings on a model makes me like them more (I think the yellow on the real ones is too bright).

The pics show up fine on my browser. If a few more people mention it though, I'll send a few your way. The first two are kinda blurry, but the last one is pretty sharp.

Hey Pete-

Thanks for the compliments. I like gear-up for the same reason -- I wish more kits would come with the option. Closing them wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The nose gear was pretty easy, but the main gear doors kind of "collapsed" inward. Next time I'll put some plastic strips beneath them as bracing to avoid it. The speedbrakes are pretty easy. You only have to sand down the trailing edges after cutting them off the main piece connecting the top and bottom. Ken has a good method where he gently bends them closed.

-Tom

Thanks, Jake. Very interesting on the Hog at WPAFB. I'm going into work tomorrow, so I'll find out. Get any pictures of it?

-Tom

Nope. I was heading out of the base as it came in. I think it was broken. I won't be back until Friday, and I assume it'll be gone by then.

Jake

Hey Ken-

Thanks! All I did for weathering was highlight the panel lines with a pencil. I really like this technique. I usually brush on some charcoal, but 108 is a very clean airplane, so I elected not to. Seeing the new tail markings on a model makes me like them more (I think the yellow on the real ones is too bright).

The pics show up fine on my browser. If a few more people mention it though, I'll send a few your way. The first two are kinda blurry, but the last one is pretty sharp.

thanks for the tip Tom. I was thinking the same thing about the tails when I saw your model - I guess they'll grow on us....