I'm looking for period photos of the Curtiss P-1A. I'm about to prime my Olimp Pro Resin kit (I'll try to remember to take some shots of it tonight and add them to the forum) and don't want to stay with the kit-supplied markings.

So, if anyone can point me to - or send me - period photos of the Curtiss P-1A I would be most appreciative. TIA!

Hi Matt,

I contacted the Director of the Curtiss Museum to see if they have any information regarding the P1. If anyone should have anything, Trafford will. I'll let you know.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Matt,

I contacted the Director of the Curtiss Museum to see if they have any information regarding the P1. If anyone should have anything, Trafford will. I'll let you know.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks, Mike!!

You must do it in markings for the 43rd, no other options are acceptable

:cheers:

If you can find me an image of a P-1A from the 43rd that's not the kit scheme (I "think" the kit scheme is one from the 43rd - an image of the decal sheet is below) then I will. However, as I normally build from photos, and not just color profiles, I'll need a photo.

Here is the Olimp Pro Resin decal sheet:

Dek_P1A.jpg

Well finding an A is a problem, but this site has a bunch of B,C and D's

Keith Ferris Artist

step throught the two slide shows.

I have a few more if those are not sufficient. There is also a 43rd Squadron Group build in the completed section which has a little more information.

I have ordered the P-1 from two locations but have yet to get one, so I had no idea it came with 43rd insignia. I do think the decals are wrong tho, Underside letters were more likely white, and all research I have done inidicate that the squadron insignia was bug on white background with either a red or orange surround. The blue came later. But who knows for sure. Sure do wish this kit was

available when we were doing the GB.

Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately there are enough differences between the 'A' and later versions that you just can't take a photo of a later version and "think" the 'A' would be the same. If that makes sense.

The kit is super. Sure, a little bit of work, but most resin kits are. :cheers:

Are there any aftermarket decals that would have the "correct" 43rd emblem, say the old Microscale sheet?

You are right, for some reason I had it in my head the big change came with the D, but the B had a whole new radiator. Anyway there were 25 P-1A's serials

26-276/300. This is the only A photo I could find. 17th PG

Thanks, but that is one of the P-1As in the In Action book. Since I plan on building a P-6E in 17th PG markings, I don't want to do the P-1A in the same markings.

Maybe I'll just have to stick with the markings in the kit, but I really don't want to.

hi Matt,

The Curtiss Museum sent me 3 pages of P1 info, but it looks like it's not much more than what was covered here already. If you still want it, email me off board and I'll scan to email them to you.

Cheers

Mike

• 2 years later...