Here's another one I've been working on kinda under the radar. I originally wanted to do a TARPS bird, but I soon realized none of the VF-84 decals I had would allow it (they all pre-date the TARPS pod). So I am doing one from the 1978-79 period. In fact, in the movie "The Final Countdown", Victory 210 was chosen to be the strike leader of the force that would intercept the japanese planes before being recalled.

The kit is a newly-pressed R/M kit, and I have to say their molds are getting worse and worse by the day. The kit can build into a fine tomcat, but the forward fuselage fit on this particular kit was horrible... NOTHING wanted to stay glued together. I finally managed to make it work though. Getting pretty far along on the preliminary painting now, and since it can't be a TARPS bird, it's gonna receive a 2x2x2 loadout I think.

there is some overspray I still have to clean up (particularly around the white/gull grey demarcation on the fuselage) but nothing too bad. The interior of the afterburners is done, but I haven't done the exterior yet.

Hey Jeremy,

Do you want to know a little something? Go back and watch The Final Countdown again and look at the VF-84 Tomcats. You'll notice that the entire topside is painted gull gray. The white on the topside of the control surfaces is actually gull gray. It took me awhile to come to that conclusion, but it sure does look that way. So, BREAK OUT THE GULL GRAY BABY! :thumbsup:

Looking good Skull Leader! Our models will look awesome together!

Jacob

Won't be too much longer until I'll add another Bones Bird to the mix; Victory 201 in the same paint scheme as your Cats. :P JOLLY ROGERS RULE!!! :thumbsup: :huh: ;)

Hey!!  Are you copying me Chris???  I already built Victory 201 :P  <_<  :rofl:

Nope, just coincidence. :bobby: That's the modex that came with the decal sheet. (Microscale sheet with VF-84 and VF-213 high-vis.) Also, another note about the VF-84 cats from Final Countdown; they had the 'USS NIMITZ' written just ahead of where the glove vanes extended from, not on the sides of the intakes like most decal sheets have.

Edited by Chris_Teet
Hey!!  Are you copying me Chris???  I already built Victory 201 :P  <_<  :P

Nope, just coincidence. :bobby: That's the modex that came with the decal sheet. (Microscale sheet with VF-84 and VF-213 high-vis.) Also, another note about the VF-84 cats from Final Countdown; they had the 'USS NIMITZ' written just ahead of where the glove vanes extended from, not on the sides of the intakes like most decal sheets have.

Are you sure about that Chirs??? I know VF-41 had a very small USS Nimitz written on the glove vane area....all of the VF-84 shots had the USS Nimitz titles on the intake...I dont remember seeing USS Nimitz on the glove vane of a VF-84 Tomcat. There is a scene just after the CAG landed...it shows an F-14 being marshalled by a yellow shirt...and it has the small USS Nimits on the glove vnae...thats actually a VF-41 jet. ;)

My decals were from Aeromaster....great decals too!

I could have sworn it was a VF-84 jet I saw that on. I'll double-check later tonight though. Speaking of VF-41, how come no one makes decals for the low-vis markings the Aces were sporting in that movie? :rofl:

Hey!!  Are you copying me Chris???  I already built Victory 201 :P  :thumbsup:  :rofl:

Nope, just coincidence. :wasntme: That's the modex that came with the decal sheet. (Microscale sheet with VF-84 and VF-213 high-vis.) Also, another note about the VF-84 cats from Final Countdown; they had the 'USS NIMITZ' written just ahead of where the glove vanes extended from, not on the sides of the intakes like most decal sheets have.

Are you sure about that Chirs??? I know VF-41 had a very small USS Nimitz written on the glove vane area....all of the VF-84 shots had the USS Nimitz titles on the intake...I dont remember seeing USS Nimitz on the glove vane of a VF-84 Tomcat. There is a scene just after the CAG landed...it shows an F-14 being marshalled by a yellow shirt...and it has the small USS Nimits on the glove vnae...thats actually a VF-41 jet. ;)

My decals were from Aeromaster....great decals too!

Well I double-checked, and it turns out that the Jolly Rogers Tomcats did have the ship name on the intakes after all. The Black Aces Cats had it written on the glove vanes themselves. *does a perfect Homer Simpson impersonation* D'OH!!

Dont worry..I had a d'oh moment too..I thought I had built Victory 201....turns out I built one of the Zero Killers.....Victory 202!! Which is good...so you're not copying me :P :unsure:

At this rate, we'll have the whole squadron by the time the build's over with! :lol:

• 1 month later...

Ok, this thing is nearly done... remaining decals, weapons, doors, and probes.

Evidently I didn't put any counterbalance in the nose (I thought I did)... this thing is a tail-dragger if I have the wings completely swept back... not sure how I'm going to counter that now with the model amost finished... but I may think of something.

I had plans to display this one cockpit-open, so I may just glue it to a base of some sort. The canopy and windscreen are just sitting on there (as are the tails). I still need to pin-stripe the loud handles on the ejection seats.

Better get the lead out buddy, you've only got until 11:59 PM Thursday night! (My digital camera just this evening decided to start working again. Now I've gotta photograph all three of my remaining entries and get them to Steve before then, plus take a group photo for the 'Tomcat collection' thread here.) :cheers: