OK... I've recovered from the crackling paint incident.

I'm looking at the leading edge of the wings now. I'm trying to model a VF-84 in an early 80's scheme (Hasegawa 1/72 kit #E3 Hi-viz). The instructions call for the plane to be painted overall FSx6440 including the edge of the wing. However, looking at all the great entries in the GB, I've noticed many have metal finish.

Can someone provide with some definitive indication of paint, or lack thereof, on the leading edge of the wing?

If it is metallic, what is the best color/paint to use to simulate the metal finish?

Cheers,

Ray

VF-x

I painted mine with MM Steel. I am also doing an old VF-84 bird. I am not sure how accurate the "color" is for the leading edges, but it appears to match some old photos I've seen. I used the paint on all leading edges.

Jacob

I'm using the Hasegawa decals OOB, so its 210, and at best guess, circa early 80's as the suggested color is an overall FSx6440. I can't find any pictures on the net for this particular bird, so I wonder if artist license needs to be taken in this case. Still, I want to get it as close as possible to the real deal.

Cheers

VF-x

I just been looking through my copy of Tomcat Alley and all the Cats in that Nimitz time zone had metal leading edges on the wings only (and of course the intake lips). Like you I cant find any of this particular Cat - the one in Tomcat Alley is in the films "Executive Decision" scheme.

For my metal leading edges I use Alclad II Aluminium.

HTH

i painted mine w/MM as well.... but the 1st coat was too brite... i thiink i used aluminum... so i fingernail scratched it off, leaving some of the residue beihind, then i sprayed with MM steel... and finger rubbed it dull...

it came out OK...

as for the real deal... they WERE shiny, especially after the line rats VVLd them... but up close, they were beat up with the amber colored protective film worn off in places... in the worn places, the NMF was dull... like steel, but lighter... like aluminum...

getting the finish i got was a total accident... but i am quite pleased with it...

i betMOST unique things like that are the products of accidents and 'OH SH*Ts!!'... which is what mine was at 1st...

hth

Hi Texas,

Actually, it would be interesting to find out why the edge wasn't painted and left as bare metal.

vf-x

Purely speculation that they would have to paint/touch-them-up too often. Best just to leave them bare.

Left as bare metal due to heating at high speeds... the A-model was actually speed limited by airframe heating, though just above that speed were stability issues.

Easy to tell when someone oversped a cat as the paint would be bubbled.

BTW, the A's were faster than B's & D's.

Sponge

Left as bare metal due to heating at high speeds... the A-model was actually speed limited by airframe heating, though just above that speed were stability issues.

Easy to tell when someone oversped a cat as the paint would be bubbled.

BTW, the A's were faster than B's & D's.

Sponge

yup... as one can tell from the CONSTANT leaks and jammed daily/weekly doors...

once up to spedd, the heat from the friction would close everything up with german torque...

GOOTENTITE...

Very interesting. Hadn't thought of that. Is this the same for the vertical tail and rudders? The Hasegawa instruction calls for painted edges. Should they also be bare metal?

Very interesting. Hadn't thought of that. Is this the same for the vertical tail and rudders? The Hasegawa instruction calls for painted edges. Should they also be bare metal?

nope... they were some sort of boron composite... but painted... on some of the way early models, i think they may have been a shade different, but when i was crawling on them as an AE in the 80s, they were painted the same shade of haze grey

VF-x

I just been looking through my copy of Tomcat Alley and all the Cats in that Nimitz time zone had metal leading edges on the wings only (and of course the intake lips). Like you I cant find any of this particular Cat - the one in Tomcat Alley is in the films "Executive Decision" scheme.

For my metal leading edges I use Alclad II Aluminium.

HTH

Andy,

Is Aluminum too bright as others have suggested? Or is Alclad steel too dark?