slightly O/T - Database of Paints

I'm trying to keep track of the paints I've got and so I've opened up a Excel File to keep track of them.

How do you catalog your paints...to give me an idea of how to break down the sections, whether by type, FS Number, or by brand... And keep track of them...

Animal what I have done is break it down by color(ie greens,grays,etc)with the brand name ie MM or tamiya in brackets as different companies have different shades of colors.I use a spread sheet.

HTH

Charles

Mine are in an MS Access database. I have based mine of FS equivalents and can cross reference like colours for different air forces, look for type of paint by such characteristics as enamel, acrylic, lacquer etc, gloss, matt, satin, metalizer, in-stock, out-of stock. I have listed several manufacturers’ ranges, and I also list the manufacture's name, paint number and description.

I did this of a bit of data-basing fun as much as anything after buying up some bulk lots of paints from shops getting out of models. I don't always use it a hell of lot. It's greatest us is in checking if I need to buy a colour or have its equivalent in stock.

Umm....I...uh...just look into the drawer :cheers: lol

HEHE.

I figure out what I need based on what I don't have. Which means looking through the drawer.

Now, decals, kits, and PE I catalogue in Excel.

Christopher :thumbsup:

I have one of each in each line of paints I use. When I get to about a third of the way through one I'll note the number of a sheet of paper I have in my paint drawers, and will either pick up form the LHS or order online a new one when I get the chance - at least once a week.

HTH

If you use MM paints. I almost exclusively do. There is a great cross reference book available from testors for about 10 bucks. It has charts that cross reference MM paints to every other major brand of paint giving you color equivelants. It also includes actual paint chips of all MM paints, not the printed 4 color version.

I catalogue mine by manufacterer, i.e. MM, and then by end user. For example as I build mostly WW2, my paints are split on my shelves by RLM, RA, IJA/IJN, RAF, USAAF, and VVS. I have another shelf for intinerent colors such as blacks, reds, etc. My acrylics are split the same way, and are separate from the enamels.......

I catalogue mine by manufacterer, i.e. MM, and then by end user. For example as I build mostly WW2, my paints are split on my shelves by RLM, RA, IJA/IJN, RAF, USAAF, and VVS. I have another shelf for intinerent colors such as blacks, reds, etc. My acrylics are split the same way, and are separate from the enamels.......

I've seen your spray area and the paints don't look organised by any method, sir :o

I have to get me one of those turntables, though. Very useful.

How do you catalog your paints...

Hate to say, but I don't catalog them at all. That being said, I do try to keep them organized.

I have two large drawers dedicated to paints. One drawer houses all my MM enamels, as well as Humbrol and Xtracolor tinlets. This drawer also holds any partially filled large airbrush jars that I might have (about a dozen).

The second drawer holds all my Tamiya and Gunze paints. The rest of the drawer is filled with the smaller airbrush jars (about 40).

All my Alclad paints are stored on a separate shelf.

And before you ask, yes, I do have a jar for every color I shoot through the airbrush. I just right the color and/or FS/RLM code on top of the cap in white marker.

Before I start a build, I got through the drawers, and pull out every color I will need for major paint work. Any paints that I will use for detail work will get pulled out as well, but set aside until needed. Any color I need, but don't have, means a trip to the LHS is needed.

Finally, whenever I get a new kit, I go through the color call outs and find out what paints I'm going to need, and buy them then. That way, I already have the colors before I start the kit.

I've seen your spray area and the paints don't look organised by any method, sir 
You didn't look upstairs in the model room closet where the main inventory is though did you?? :D Spray area is a work site...... :o

i keep mine in a shoe box in my desk drawer...

i pull out what i will need for each project and set them aside...

probably explains why i have 2-3 bottles of the exact same thing... but it works for me...

sometimes

:D