Gloss white or Flat white?

Thats a good question, I would GUESS factory fresh would be gloss, easier to wipe up the hydr. leaks.

Then they would fade with age.

Like our 24 year old hornets. :cheers:

So for the sake of model building and simulating weathering, and a general worn-out appearance, would it be wise to paint it gloss white and apply a wash to it?

Yes, that's what I did recently on an A-4F and it came out looking pretty good.

I use Polly Scale Reefer White, which is flat, but before washes of any paint, I gloss with Polly Scale Clear Gloss. The interiors are more semi-gloss than gloss in my terms of thinking, as I see gloss as a well polished car, etc. After weathering, I use a mix of flat and semi-gloss clears, one must think of scale effect too.

Caz

I use Polly Scale Reefer White, which is flat, but before washes of any paint, I gloss with Polly Scale Clear Gloss. The interiors are more semi-gloss than gloss in my terms of thinking, as I see gloss as a well polished car, etc. After weathering, I use a mix of flat and semi-gloss clears, one must think of scale effect too.

Caz

I use the same method Caz, on the premise that flat white is easier to apply and more opaque than gloss white. I use Tamiya Flat White and Future to gloss, but the effect's the same. And I agree, semi-gloss looks much more 'in-scale' than a high gloss, which tends to look toy-like.