Sparmax AC-100 compressor

Hi there:)

I want to ask for advice about the Sparmax compressors. I'am planning to buy one and I am trying to make the right decision:) The options I can afford are:

Sparmax AC-100

http://www.artservicebg.com/data/imgs/23.gif

Sparmax AC-100S

http://www.artservicebg.com/data/imgs/24.gif

The two devices look pretty identical except for the hoses/mosture trap configuration. The AC-100 has only one hose between the moisture trap/regulator and the airbrush. Respectively the moisture trap is mounted directly to the compressor. The AC-100S has two hoses (not shown on the pic) and the second one is between the compressor and the regulator. Plus the AC-100S is about 6-7 $ cheaper:)

So, which one should I buy?

I'd suggest you buy one that has a reserve tank; neither of those look like they've got one. You can get a much better compressor shopping at hardware stores etc. than buying an "airbrush compressor."

:thumbsup: While I'm here, let me say this about airbrush equipment: Buy the best you can afford the first time out. It is not neccessary to buy "entry level" equipment. The learning curve on airbrushing is (for most people) rather quick. A double action airbrush and an airsource (reserve tank) with a good regulator are what you should start with. Less than that just makes the process painfull.

My two cents,

Well, unfortunately I have no option for a compressor with a tank. The silent ones are almost twice the price of Sparmax AC-100. The compressors in the hardware stores are too powerfull for just airbrushing (and this is what I intend to use my compressor for) and too noisy and large. I live in an apparment and I can't afford such noise:) I think that the only flaw of the "tankless" compressors is the limited time they can work before some cooling pause. But since I use enamel paints (the only ones I can find in Bulgaria...) and have time for modellind once a weekend (at most) I think that something like 20 minutes continuous airbrushing is fully acceptable for me.

The question I can't answer to is which Sparmax compressor should I buy? The one with two hoses or the one with one hose?

Hi there:)

I want to ask for advice about the Sparmax compressors. I'am planning to buy one and I am trying to make the right decision:) The options I can afford are:

Sparmax AC-100

http://www.artservicebg.com/data/imgs/23.gif

Sparmax AC-100S

http://www.artservicebg.com/data/imgs/24.gif

The two devices look pretty identical except for the hoses/mosture trap configuration. The AC-100 has only one hose between the moisture trap/regulator and the airbrush. Respectively the moisture trap is mounted directly to the compressor. The AC-100S has two hoses (not shown on the pic) and the second one is between the compressor and the regulator. Plus the AC-100S is about 6-7 $ cheaper:)

So, which one should I buy?

Hi, wolf1,

You can consider SPARAMAX TC501. This model has the "auto-off" features. The compressor will "stop" whenever the PSI reaches 5.0 PSI. It is good that you don't have to "swtich-off" the compressor during you clean the airbrush or changing color.

There is some missunderstanding here:) I am going to buy AC-100. But there are two submodels AC-100 in the store. AC-100 and AC-100S. The latter has two hoses and the moisture trap/regulator is between them. AC-100 has only one hose and the moisture trap/regulator is mounted directly to the compressor without a hose.

The thing that concerns me is that the compressor with two hoses is actually about 6$ cheaper than the compressor with only one hose, which is a little against the logic:) So I'm asking is there any invisible difference between AC-100 and AC-100S besides the hoses? May be better heat protection, better motor or something else.

And if I could afford the price then I would byu some Hansa compressor with an air tank or Sparmax TC-610 or TC-5000:) But I think the AC-100 (or AC-100S) is good worth for the money.

There is some missunderstanding here:) I am going to buy AC-100. But there are two submodels AC-100 in the store. AC-100 and AC-100S. The latter has two hoses and the moisture trap/regulator is between them. AC-100 has only one hose and the moisture trap/regulator is mounted directly to the compressor without a hose.

The thing that concerns me is that the compressor with two hoses is actually about 6$ cheaper than the compressor with only one hose, which is a little against the logic:) So I'm asking is there any invisible difference between AC-100 and AC-100S besides the hoses? May be better heat protection, better motor or something else.

And if I could afford the price then I would byu some Hansa compressor with an air tank or Sparmax TC-610 or TC-5000:) But I think the AC-100 (or AC-100S) is good worth for the money.

Hi nick,

Sorry that I may misunderstanding your question. I have seen both model, I think the hose you mentioned is for other add-on devices. (I have not seen the AC100S before, may be just for EU region).

But if it is $6 cheaper, go for it. As the compressor model is the same (as you can see from the label).

The regulator/moisturte trap is not shown on the picture. But it stays between the two hoses. And you can put the trap into the metal ring holder which is mounted on the compressor. One hose connects compressor with the regulator and the other hose connects the regulator with the airbrush. May be having two hoses avoids pulsations in the air flow more better....

Here is another pic of AC-100S this time with everything on it:)

http://www.hobymodels.com/catalog/images/m...rmax/ac100s.gif

And there is another question. My airbrush has 0.45 mm nozzle and there is no replacement for it. I hope AC-100 can provide stable airflow for it. I plan to get some 0.2 or 0.3 nozzle airbrush but this is not going to happen in the immediate future:)

Simple : as said I use the AC-100 for years now - sold lots of them too .

The only gripe if working in a moist environment, but than we're talking really moist, it is sometimes necessary to remove the trap, insert a tube and place it some further away from the compressor in order to avoid any waterdrops coming into the airbrush . But I stress : in an environment with a high humidity or hot and rainy weather .

The rest is a bit up to you . I'd go for the AC-100 - in fact I did .

And I agree : there's better and of course more expensive but this little one is more than good enough for the average builder .

:thumbsup:

Stef

And there is another question. My airbrush has 0.45 mm nozzle and there is no replacement for it. I hope AC-100 can provide stable airflow for it. I plan to get some 0.2 or 0.3 nozzle airbrush but this is not going to happen in the immediate future:)

Nope, and mine range from .2 to .5 .

:thumbsup:

Stef

A comment regarding the extra hose... for me I have my compressor sitting on the floor and run a hose to the moisture trap/regulator which is inside the spray booth. My airbrush then connects there so I have lots of hose and room.

I don't have this compressor (I have the Silentaire Scorpion I), but the extra hose could be a feature for this exact reason.

Percy

From the picture it looks like there's a long coil hose running from the compressor to the water trap. More equipment, smaller price? I'd go with the 100S.

What airbrush do you have? I may be able to find a replacement nozzle.

hth

Thank you for the advices people:)

It is done :D I bought the AC-100S one:) Haven't sprayed anythig yet, because my airbrush doesn't fit to the compressor's hose connector. But that appears to be not a great problem. I'll go to some mechanic workshop and have a customl connector made :D

Btw, my airbrush is Revell Profi 700. I've bought it 5 years ago. Double action, 0.45 nozzle. I'm plannig to get Iwata, Hansa or Sparmax airbrush with 0.2 or 0.3 nozzle, but this will be a little further :rofl: