Any Pic's of this MiG-21

I'm thinking about doing the gb with a trump. MiG-21 MF and my weird MiG's sheet....does anyone have any photos of this bird? I'd like to see something besides the conflicting profile drawings I currently have....

iaf_mig-21bis_c2283_3_sqn_rattlers.jpg

Also, what position are the control surfaces, airbrakes, etc. in when a -21 is parked?

TIA!

That's another thing that confuses me, some places I've looked say it is an MF and others say it is a bis....which is it, and can I make my trump MF a bis? Thanks guys!

That's another thing that confuses me, some places I've looked say it is an MF and others say it is a bis....which is it, and can I make my trump MF a bis?  Thanks guys!

Nate,

3 Sqn IAF "Cobras" which is the sqn in question have been operating Mig-21s since 1972. Firstly the Mig-21FL, then the Mig-21Bis and currently the Mig-21Bison, operating the Mig-21U also for training purposes................but never the Mig-21MF, sorry

I don't see why you can't convert a MF to a Bis, as I said the only real difference is the spine and its intersection with the tailfin.

Edited by Mandrake
That's another thing that confuses me, some places I've looked say it is an MF and others say it is a bis....which is it, and can I make my trump MF a bis?  Thanks guys!

Nate,

3 Sqn IAF "Cobras" which is the sqn in question have been operating Mig-21s since 1972. Firstly the Mig-21FL, then the Mig-21Bis and currently the Mig-21Bison, operating the Mig-21U also for training purposes................but never the Mig-21MF, sorry

I don't see why you can't convert a MF to a Bis, as I said the only real difference is the spine and its intersection with the tailfin.

Hi Mandrake,

I also try to find two photo's (one of the Bis and one of the MF) to see the difference between those two.

Can you help me (you're Mr.Acurate B) )?

Manny thanks :thumbsup:

The bis spine is wider and more bulbous through the fuselage. The two spines do merge into the tail differently, but that's not the only difference.

MF side-on

MF rear 3/4

Notice how the base of the spine along the fuselage is relatively straight

bis side-on

bis front 3/4

bis side-on

bis front 3/4

Notice how the base of the spine curves downwards quite noticeably (particularly in the front 3/4 shots). Also, the way it extends through the tail, the back of the spine almost touches the front of the parabrake housing on the bis, where there's a much larger gap between the two on the MF.

However, if you want to do an Indian Aggressor, you CAN still use an MF kit, it just limits your choices a little more. There's a few shots on Bharat Rakshak

And just 'cause I've got the pages open, there's some good walkaround shots of an MF here and here.

:huh: I'm sorry to say.

But i'm blind B) I don't see the difference

:wacko: if i'll see a Bis i'll think it's a MF and the otherway round too B)

:huh:

Maybe one day i'll see it

:thumbsup:

funny but the ACIG drawing in the first post is in fact an MF.

The explanation from MoFo is idd pretty correct and if you look good you'll see the difference, it took me a while to ;)

talking about MF and Bis mixing, The 1/72 MiG-21MF from Fujimi, is in fact a Bis

Btw is there a cockpit set available for this kit (MiG-21Bis I mean)? I have one but the cockpit looks pretty poor to me and I like to do some improvements but I'm not such a great scratcher :thumbsup:

Regards, Tom

Edited by Fiddler

Right, attempt number two. Bis is on top, MF underneath.

The green lines on the tails show (roughly) the distance between the end of the spine and the start of the parabrake fairing. The red lines show the engine scoops, to help give a comparison. Notice how on the bis, the distance between the spine and parabrake is small - the spine ends around the back end of the air scoop. On the MF, this distance is much greater - the spine ends around the FRONT of the air scoop.

The green lines under the spine (along the fuselage) give a rough idea of the comparative bulginess. The MF spine dips down slightly, just behind the canopy, then slopes back up gently, in a fairly straight line. The bis spine (lines exaggerated to help illustrate point), curves down more, with the base of the curve much farther back, before sloping up quite severely.

...and another shot to illustrate the spine bulge. This time, the MF is on top, bis underneath. The lines are drawn from the base of the tail, to the corner of the canopy. Notice how the MF has very little spine hanging under the line, and that it slopes up smoothly. On the other hand, the bis has a lot of spine hanging under the line, and it's bowed down quite prominently.

• 5 weeks later...