Woohoo - CA announces Avro Anson kit

Hyperscale announed the imminent release of Classic Airframes' Avro Anson Mk.1 and derivatives.

Okay, I know I'm in for one for a regular Mk.I, one for a Mk.II (easily converted from a Mk. I) and one to make into a Mk.V. That is unless the 'derivatives' include these Canadianized wonders.

I'm not holding my breath Mate, as much as I welcome the idea of a new kit in ANY scale pf an Anson . I just have no faith in CA getting any kit right , Battle , Blenheim , Hudson , Defiant , CR42 , Hurricane , DH Hornet., F5. All have problems. Trouble is there never seems to be a straight forward un -biased review of any of CA kits.

:cheers:

I'll agree about the biased reviews. However, I have the Hudson, Duck, Battle, and Sea Hornet, plus have fondled the F-5, Wyvern and a few others.

There certainly are some issues with complex parts and fit issues, and there is a need for putty on each of those models. But lets face it, CA at least gives us a decent starting point with all their subjects. With a little determination a very nice Anson will be obtained.

Well, I'm going to wait until I see it before getting too anxious.

The Anson went through a lot of development one way and another; we'll have to see what flavour we'll get. Then a dispassionate appraisal of what's in the box. Until then it's all just wishing.

The price won't be small either, this kit will have to be some good to get me going.

The Duck, Anson, Hudson, Battle have all been done by Airfix long time ago, in a not excellent but useful and decent quality (except perhaps the Battle, which still gets bad press).

Greetings,

Eduard.

The Duck, Anson, Hudson, Battle have all been done by Airfix long time ago, in a not excellent but useful and decent quality (except perhaps the Battle, which still gets bad press).

Greetings,

Eduard.

Yes, but Classic products are in 1/48.

I am very fond of Airfix kits, plenty of modelling value there, but these old eyes aren't what they used to be. I built all those kits in the 1960s when they first came out!

The Airfix Anson in particular is quite good, only a couple of easily fixed problems.

Well Trevor, I never thought I would see the day............an Anson!! Well, I am sure there will lots of BCATP Yellow being sprayed in many basements this coming winter......!!. :blink:

Well perhaps I'll have to nudge Jules this week, about getting plans from a couple of our local museums. Both Nanton and Calgary have Mk 2's and 5's manuals / blueprints.

I'm glad that I have not started the old Sanger Version yet, as that is a truly crude starting point. The Mk1 / 2 are very close to each other, the CDN mk 5 changes the fuse but keeps the same wing plan (albeit with some differences). I just hope he doesn't plan for a Mk 19. version first!

I see yellow, blues, and silvers in my future!

Ps. Here's why Trevor and I have a desire for the kit:

AvroAnson-2gly.jpg

cfgly.jpg

Our Grandparents owned one during the 50's :blink:

The announcement on HS says it's a Mark I first, though there were enough variations even on just the Mk I to keep everyone busy for a while. Cowlings, blistered and not, turret or not and the biggie, the sloped or less sloped windscreen.

The II and IV had different American engines, the later British jobs got different British engines. The V with the plywood fuselage and the late British marks with raised roofs and metal wings.

Anyone know how many different countries flew the Anson? It just goes on and on.

Now, I wonder where that bird is now!??

Last we heard, it was rotting away in a field, somewhere in Manitoba about 30 or 35 years ago. I doubt if there's anything left.

From what I have read the Battle has an incorrect nose profile and propeller as well as the tail is supposed to be offset to one side but isn't. The other kits have had a few comments against them on the accuracy side of things. I can't usualy tell the difference so it doesn't worry me. I have about 7 kits from CA and keep putting them off due to them being a pain in the bum to make.

It is hard to find an honest review of CA kits as there are a lot of people who review them that are in the CA suuporteres team.

I'm not holding my breath Mate, as much as I welcome the idea of a new kit in ANY scale pf an Anson . I just have no faith in CA getting any kit right , Battle , Blenheim , Hudson , Defiant , CR42 , Hurricane , DH Hornet., F5. All have problems. Trouble is there never seems to be a straight forward un -biased review of any of CA kits.

:bandhead2:

Can you tell us what the problem is with the Hurricane please? I was planning on purchasing this one to build Collishaw's ragged wing Hurri.

Thanks

Brad

The announcement on HS says it's a Mark I first, though there were enough variations even on just the Mk I to keep everyone busy for a while. Cowlings, blistered and not, turret or not and the biggie, the sloped or less sloped windscreen.

The II and IV had different American engines, the later British jobs got different British engines. The V with the plywood fuselage and the late British marks with raised roofs and metal wings.

Anyone know how many different countries flew the Anson? It just goes on and on.

Bob,

It will be interesting indeed to see if CA re-works the mould for the Mk V, since as you alluded to, it's made of wood, which would require a different mould I would think. You are correct in that there are alot to choose from, with Canada having over 4400 of them in all marks.

Cheers

Brad

Brad,

Yes, the V had a moulded plywood fuselage, comments about Canadian winters being the usual reason given. The V did have a raised roofline compared to the earlier marks and that made it a better freighter. I have seen a reference somewhere about a new wing but I'm not so sure about that one.

The British XII (and the XIX, XXI and 22) also had the raised roof though they retained the fabric covering and didn't go to plywood. Could it have been to a similar outline as the V? If so, that's the hard part right there. We'll still have to watch out for the later series with metal wings of different plan form but that's modelling. :bandhead2:

I am sitting tight until I see what's actually produced. I anticipate building a Mark I for myself and, if a V comes out, one of them for my father-in-law. He had some hours on them, freighting car parts back in the 50s.

In the meantime, I am assembling my references. It's amazing what can be downloaded, no dearth of very easy colour schemes. I have my eye on a UK-built camouflaged one, taken on RCAF charge and used at an AOS at Malton or London.

Edited by Bob Perry

The Western Development Museum in Moose Jaw has a completely, and accurately restored Anson I...right down to the bomb sight.

In 1974 when we were looking for an Anson airframe for the museum, I found 14 complete but battered airframes in one day by cruising the back roads west of MJ. We also acquired a Cessna Crane which was completely restored.

I'm looking forward to getting an Anson

Barney

The build itself shows how the nose is out There should be no dip to the spinner as seen on the model . I'll look for some photos I have and post them when I dig them out

As for the DH Hornet - Canopy needs reshaping , spent catridge case ejection ports need adding as does a gun sight ,. Chordwise panel lines need filling. These have been shown in drawings as panel lines but they are tapes , as the wing was fabric covered as was the fuselage. U/C needs repositioning as it Splays outwards if fitted per instructions. Fin Fillet for the MKIII nees reshaping. None of these are major jobs , but after the hype and price charged they shouldn't have to be done. :beer4:

Thanks for the response Terry. Thankfully, it sounds like there's nothing on the Hornet that I shouldn't be able to fix if I decide to. I tend to regard the CA offerings as pretty good limited run kits, rather than acceptable mainstream ones. Should they be held to the same standards as Tamiya and Hasegawa? I suspect opininions may vary. Given that they're releasing Hornets and Whirlwinds, while Hasegawa is busy putting out another 109 or Mustang, I'm inclined to give them a pass occasionally.

cheers,

Jason

:thumbsup:

Hi Jason . I don't expect CA kits to be shake and bake , and I think the choice of subject is excellent . Unfortunately the anticipation is sometimes greater than the event.

I have a large stash of CA kits , so its not as if I don't buy them . I just don't get caught up in all the sychophantic hype that seems to surround them. :cheers: