Red, white and blue F-16

I think you're referring to the YF-16 Prototype that was in the LWF fly-off against theYF-17 back in 1974 ... General Dynamics colors ...

aao.jpg

Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost

Both YF-16 prototypes wore the RWB scheme, YF-16 #2 was also painted in at least three other schemes (grey, sky and CCV). In the RWB scheme, both initially wore YF-16 on the vertical tail. After GD won the LWF competition they took one of the YF-16s to the 1975 Paris Air Show, where the tail was changed to just F-16.

F-16A FSD #1 also wore a variation of the RWB scheme.

For the 25th anniversary at Edwards there was an F-16 painted in a RWB scheme, and I have seen pics of one of the NATO F-16s in RWB for a similar anniversary.

Edited by habu2

The Tamiya kit markings represent the YF-16 as it appeared at the 1975 Paris Air Show (see above). Note however the Tamiya kit has many inaccuracies as it has a mix of prototype and FSD features, making it incorrect for either one.

Both YF-16 prototypes wore the RWB scheme, YF-16 #2 was also painted in at least three other schemes (grey, sky and CCV). In the RWB scheme, both initially wore YF-16 on the vertical tail. After GD won the LWF competition they took one of the YF-16s to the 1975 Paris Air Show, where the tail was changed to just F-16.

F-16A FSD #1 also wore a variation of the RWB scheme.

For the 25th anniversary at Edwards there was an F-16 painted in a RWB scheme, and I have seen pics of one of the NATO F-16s in RWB for a similar anniversary.

Yes, the RWB aircraft toured all the European buyers in 1975, not only the Paris show. As a young teenager I personally saw it at the Rygge airshow that year, wearing a black "42" ( i think) at the air intake from the Paris saloon.