Problem with Revell Varnish

Yesterday i was going to add a final coat of revell matt varnish. For some reason the coat wasn't smooth, but you can see the streaks of the brush in them, so it turned out really bad. Luckily i could rub it all of again with minimal amount of damage to the models.

So i threw out all my Revell Matt 2 varnish paintjars. And today o bought some new ones. I started testing it on my test bird and the same result, not smooth.

I don't know what this is causing. I used it straight out of the paintjar and painted with a brush. Now color mix from Revell was added, the old batch had this added but same effect.

And you can rub it off after a couple a while. That's isn't suppose to happen right?

The normal paint finishes great but the varnish don't.

Does anyone know a solution for this.

For those who want sto know. Today and yesterday it was a little chilly in my room. During the day i barely have the heater on.

Edited by Mad Viper

Okay, if you're getting brush marks it means it needs thinned with the proper reducer. And since you mentioned heat, you're already on to the source of your problem. If it's cold in your paint room, it's going to take days for your coat to cure. I never touch a coat of paint, especially gloss for at least two days. By the way, throwing things out never works. Now you can't do a comparison...

Hi Mad Viper!

I think this problem has everyone who used the revell varnish. You can thinned it like you do, it`s always the same problem. Put it in the garbage and buy testors or xtra color varnish, the result is even better as the revell`s one and you are not angry. Cheers, Udo.

Well yesterday i tried the varnish in a nicely heated room. With some color mix added to them still the same result. With to much color mix it went on better but it became dead flat. And that wasn't nice. Gonna try to put some Humbroll gloss varnish in that jar to see if that gonna affect the finish.

But on the otherside i'm gonna order xtra clour varnish from the LHS and try that. Needed some things anyway.

EDIT: I just saw that my LHS is out of matt varnish from xtra colour. They only have it in a bottle. Can i use that with a brush? And how big is that bottle?

Edited by Mad Viper

Well mixing it with some Humbrol gloss didn't worked out a thing. Tried to a add alot of color mix to Humbroll gloss varnish to see if that became matt but that still keeps glossy so i'm gonna keep that for other models.

Gonna order xtracolor. Only they have bottles and not jars, and i don't know for sure if that works well with brushes.