Chalk wash

Guest pliler

Is there anything that can be used instead of chalk pastels when weathering this way...Chalk pastels are hard find and I thought maybe charcoal or something else might work as well. Thanks :P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PHILL S

i wouldn't use charcoal as ive tried weathering with artist charcoal. The grains just didn't seem fine enough. i scraped it, didn't work!

I sanded it, didn't work!

crushed and choped it as afine as i could (over half an hour), didn't work!

went out and got some spent a day ringinh around for chalk, was very fine, was very quick and looked much better (to scale).

You should be able to purchase teachers chalk from supermarket, toy stores, art suppliers or teachers suppliers if you still cant get any go to a school and ask a teacher there for some sticks of chalk or where they got it from.

any way give it charcoal a go and see what happens and if your happy with the results.

Phill

Any thinned paint will do - lacquer, acrylic, enamel, etc.  You can also mix thinned watercolours with a bit of liquid soap for a "sludge wash".

MoFo, about how much liquid soap? I tried it the other day and it wouldn't wipe off after it dried. Panic set in...luckily Windex took it off without stripping the decals too. I think I didn't use a large enough fraction of soap so the paint stuck like....paint.

Are you not supposed to let it dry? I thought the point of the "sludge wash" was to let it dry and the soap prevented the paint from sticking.

Pliler: As for "chalk pastels", do the art stores around you sell "Soft Pastels"? Those are chalk pastels. That's what I bought. I had the choice of Oil and Soft.

I dunno - a drop or two? I'm really unscientific when it comes to model building. :P The soap should prevent it from drying fully, but you don't leave it overnight or anything - apply the wash and wipe off the excess. A bit of water on a Q-tip or brush will help, if it's too dry.

Guest Corsair69

As for the question regarding how much dish soap to use with the chalk...ONE drop is all you need. All your trying to do with the soap is break the surface tension of the liquid so that the chalk will mix easily with it.

As for chalks being hard to find in your area...let me know where you live and I'll ship some out to you free of charge. The art store I shop at has them at incredibly cheap prices and I've got more than I can use for several years....lol

I swear by coating the model with future and let dry. Then give a wash with thinned oil paint ( about 90% thinner to 10% paint). Oil paint takes a long time to dry so you can easilly wipe it off even after a couple hours, if you are unhappy with the results.

JOE