Timid question about best 1/72 P-51 kits

Gentlemen,

after suppressing aviation modelling for a dozen years or so, and effectively turning to (what here appears to be called) the dark side, i.e. AFV modelling, I am quietly trying a flying subject once again.

Unfortunately, I haven't spent enough time on ARC to "feel the mood" and thus not knowing if, as someone that hasn't contributed to this forum (yet), it is allowed to bother you and ask questions. I know that on the "dark side", some forums frown upon the lesser mortals bugging the masters. Which, of course I respect and understand.

So my question is simple: what would be the best (widely available) kit for the P-51 for the moment (Allison, or Merlin -B/C/D) ? That is, in overall accuracy and value for money.

A link to an appropriate site, a tweak list, or any indication will do.

(Actually I have the same question for 3 other types of aircraft, the Spitfire, Bf109 E/F/G/K and Fw190, but I'll perhaps better leave these for later)

I ask this, because apparently the market has completely changed. For instance, I've been told, Revell now produces some nice, cheap models and Hasegawa sometimes an expensive kit with major errors.

Many thanks in advance and best holiday wishes

Rob

Rob,

I wouldn't apologize for asking a question. The best Allison engined kit, is the new Academy version. The best Merlin engined kit is the Tamiya P-51D. All versions of the B/C currently available in 1/72 have some shape issues, primarily in the wings. I believe the best option OOB is the Academy kit. Personally I used the Hasegawa kit and replaced the wing with the Hawkeye resin wing. You might want to take a look at the built P-51's in ARC's Gallery section to get an idea what's out there, and also here http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/port...iews/72nd-3.htm

Edit: Forgot to mention the old Monogram P-51B is accurate in shape but lacking in detail (the cockpit and wheel wells) and has the dreaded raised panel lines.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

Murph got it right.

Best P-51D - Tamiya (it is also the most expensive, but does not require any after market goodies)

Best P-51 B/C - Academy, then Revel Germany - the wing of the Hasegawa B/C is totally wrong

Best Allison P-51 - Academy

None of the 1/72 P-51 kits have the main landing gear bay correctly shown. The rear of the bay is actually the wing spar, it does not follow the rear shape of the gear opening. Unfortunately the aftermarket replacements also suffer from the same problem. You need to either live with it or do some scratchbuilding.

*** edit to correct calling the Academy P-51 an 'A' model ***

Edited by Chuck1945

Murph, Chick, Dave, Hal,

thanks a lot !

The world has definitely changed while I was "away". I would never have expected Hase to come out so bad, and Academy so good.

Unfortunately I had already picked up the Italeri P-51A, and a quick check revealed that it was disappointing. Anyone any comments on that one, or how bad it REALLY is ???

Btw, has academy anounced any other Allison Mustangs ?

Merry X-mas

Rob

When the Italeri kit was released in the late 90s it was hoped to be an improvement over the Frog kit of the early 70s. Unfortunately as you discivered it had some issues. The main one was that it had a wing that was closer to a 'D' wing instead of the earlier one. I started one and was planning o use a Hawkeye P-51B resin wing designed for the Hasegawa 'B' but never completed it.

It depends what your comfort level is, the Italeri kit built and painted will look more like an Allison engine Mustang then a Merlin one. BTW, when we talk about the Academy Allison version, it is correct to call it a P-51. I think I called it a P-51A, but the 'A' had 4 x .50 cal guns, the P-51 had 4 x 20mm cannon. The Academy version is equiped with cannon.

So far, only the P-51 version is available in the Allison family from Academy.

G'day Rob,

Welcome back to the hobby.

All the preceding advice is good, but don't overlook the little short run companies. Aussie outfit, High Planes have an extremely nice P-51A which stands head and shoulders above the mass produced kits. They are not a simple model to build, but fine results are possible by application of moderate skills.

They have a very nice wheelwell and flaps substitution parts on their price-list, of which I have several sets,with plans of adapting to Hasegawa and other kits.

Good luck and please come back with all your questions.

G

Edited by Grant in West Oz