Bf 109 E-4, Black 7 of 6./JG 54

Along with finishing up the props and wheels/tires I got back to the camo. Once the aircraft arrived at JG 54 the cross-hatching was done rather roughly in the field using RLM 71 and the areas between were filled with RLM 02. Here's what it looks like so far:

31537.jpg

31540.jpg

Really brave of you to go for that scheme (one of my favourites :cheers: ). Hector is right though. Low pressure, well diluted paint and a hangerful of patience is what you need. Looking forward to seeing this one progress.

IJ.

Really brave of you to go for that scheme (one of my favourites :D ). Hector is right though. Low pressure, well diluted paint and a hangerful of patience is what you need. Looking forward to seeing this one progress.

IJ.

Thanks for that. I've really been going back and forth as to whether I want to try to firm up the cross-hatched camo. lines but as the photos I have of this plane seem to show the lines fairly diffuse (as opposed to some other JG 54 Es where the lines are so stark and dark it looks like the mechanics were mad at it and attacked the fuselage with paint) I think I may leave it as is. And honestly I'm afraid of messing it up now that I've got it this far.

Edited by David Walker

Thanks Jose. For the cockpit I used the Eduard colored photo-etch which I like quite a lot. The front panel is RLM66 as it should be. The problem I had with some of the rest of the set is that it should be RLM02 and it was actually some odd blue grey color instead. Some of those components I touched up with RLM02, some I left alone, like in the case of the throttle components in the second photo below:

28463.jpg

28464.jpg

28466.jpg

28465.jpg

Edited by David Walker

Impressive IP, David. Is that the Eduard Colour Etch? It is amazing how much of a difference that PE set can make. I used one for my P-47D, and it really made the cockpit. Keep on posting those progress pics!

:D :worship:

J.C.