Problems with a cheap compressor

Guest Roque

I bought a cheap compressor meant for filling car tyres etc. for 7€, and thought of converting it to be able to use for airbrushing also (if it is possible). The first problem I have is that the compressor gives air in bursts, really unevenly. I tried attaching a bottle after the hose to even the airflow, but it's not working perfectly, but it's helping. Does anyone have ideas on how to make the pressure and airflow given by the compressor more constant and even so that it could be used with an airbrush? I'm not willing on buying a 150€ compressor...

I got my compressor for nothing out of an old 'fridge we threw away. Just needs a few mods to connect the airbrush and away you go. Fairly smooth air delivery & pressure, but you will probably want to fit a moisture trap (and regulator if you're really keen). Runs virtually silently and just needs an occasional top-up with oil to stop it from disintegrating.

Peebeep

How is a moisture trap made?

A mommy moisture trap and a daddy moisture trap who love each other veeeerrrrry much get these "urges"...

Ambient air contains moisture. A compressor takes large amounts of air and squishes it down into a small amount of air moving at higher pressures. So the small amount of moisture in ambient air gets squished down and concentrated, and can cause problems in the airflow.

Aaaaah.. Ok, thanks. But how do you build one with limited resources? How much should the capacity of the container in litres be stabilize the pressure and airflow? I tried a 0.5 litre bottle, which didn't work well, but will a 1.5 litre one be enough, or should it be a lot bigger? Like a 5 litre container. I'll build some kind of a valve on it anyways to limit the pressure from building up too much when the brush is not used.

I've been using an air tank (about 20L) that I fill up with a cheap car tire compressor. It provides about 20-25 minutes of airbrushing, then I have to fill the tank again, which takes about 20 minutes to fill the tank to 120psi.

When I first started with the tank I didn't have a compressor, so I took the air tank to the local garage and filled it from their compressor.

For me the most important piece was getting a QUALITY regulator and moisture trap. This made a huge difference.

The biggest problem I've found with using cheap car tire compressors is that if you run it too long at a time (like 10 minutes) , they break. I've busted 2 in the last year. The newest one I have has a small fan to cool it and I can run it for 20 minutes without it heating up.

Kev.

But where can you get regulators and moisture trappers from? Is it possible to build a moisture trapper and how much will it cost? I think I can make some kind of a regulator, but can you people give ideas on making one, or is it just smarter to buy one?

But where can you get regulators and moisture trappers from? Is it possible to build a moisture trapper and how much will it cost? I think I can make some kind of a regulator, but can you people give ideas on making one, or is it just smarter to buy one?

It is safer and cheaper to buy one of each. Don't try to play with any type of compressed air. End of lesson and sermon! :thumbsup:

-Chris

Guest stealth

OK here's a REALLY CRAZY idea. Not sure if this would work (though I'm sure if it did lots of peple would be suggesting it) :wave:

1/ Pop down to the local toy store and buy a packet of very large balloons.

2/ when ready to paint, fill up a balloon using the cheap compressor mentioned at the start of this post

3/ stretch the nozzel of the balloon (the bit the air comes out of!) over the cap on the airbrush hose that normally screws into the compressor or Propellant can to form a tight seal

4/ Use the airbrush as normal until the balloon is deflated.

Ok so you will only get a short amount of airbrushing time with each balloon and the pressure will be very low BUT if it worked it would do the casual modeller that can't justify buying an actual air-brush compressor.

I'd love to have tried this out before posting this here to save the immense embarrassment and ridiculing I'm probably going to get for this suggestion, but for the life of me I can't find a single balloon in the house! :thumbsup:

Cheers

It is safer and cheaper to buy one of each.  Don't try to play with any type of compressed air.  End of lesson and sermon! :thumbsup:

-Chris

I have to agree, with Chris, I don't think there is a really cheap way to build either. You should be able to find both the regulator and moisture trap (or a combination unit) at any hardware store.

I tried using really cheap regulators (twice), and neither controlled the air pressure well enough to use the airbrush properly. I was really ready to give up using the airbrush when I went out and got a good regulator and it's been smooth sailing since then.

I wanted to start really cheap like you (I was out of work at the time), but I ended up spending more money experimenting than if I had started out with decent equipment.

I'm still waiting to get a small compressor when I can afford it.

The setup I have is similar to the one Steve has in the TnT section (Steve's Airtank).

Kev

At Home Depot, I paid $8.00 for a mosture trap by Campbell Hausfeld. They had a regulator for $10.00 and a Pressure Gage for $5.00.

or you can get one from a company selling airbrushes for around $50.00.

HTH

-Chris