Here are some pics of my 1/48 Hasagawa Zero. This is the very first Japanese plane I’ve built. 30+ years of building planes and I’ve never built a Japanese one, to be honest they don’t interest me a great deal but I was looking for something different and easy to build.

This was a great kit. Everything fit perfectly and required no filler at all. I glued the upper wing halves to the fuse first then glued the lower wing to the assembly. This resulted in no joint to fill what so ever. The only addition to the kit was some Edward seat belts. I had a really hard time cross referencing the Gunze paints to Humbrol or MM enamels. I bought a bottle of MM Japanese Army light green but after opening it it looked far to green. It looks more like Sky Type S. I ended up mixing my own using Humbrol 147 light grey with a drop or two of Black and Interior green. I think it came out ok. I used a wash of Paynes grey artist oil for weathering, I used a very diluted mix but I think it still came out a little to strong on the panel lines. Oh well…

Thanks for looking. Critiques most welcome please.

z1.jpg

z2.jpg

z3.jpg

z4.jpg

z5.jpg

Nice Zero! Really great paint job. :D

One critique (and very minor); most early war Zero's didn't appear to have much (if any) paint chipping, especially carrier based aircraft (not much to chip paint on a carrier).

Again great model!

Jeff

Ron,

Very nice job on the building and finishing. I do believe the thought process on the overall gray scheme of Zeros has evolved lately. About a year ago it was thought it was a brownish-gray, now I believe the thinking is a greenish-gray. Japanese aircraft.com has conventional wisdom of this wee.

Regards,

Murph

Thanks all,

I don't have any in the stash right now CDPlayer but that could change soon. Jeff, I noted that on the chipping also until I read in the instructions that this particular aircraft was land based so I assumed it would chip a little. I kept it toned down with most of the chipping on the leading edge of the wing within the prop circle and a little around the cockpit and cowel.

Your right Carbine this is one of the best Hasi kit's I've built, I chose the Type 32 becuase it is a little different than any other versions of the Zero that I've seen. It's a very good fit, good detail and the kit decals went on very well with no silvering (over a coat of future). The meat balls look a little bright on the decals but still look OK to me. Overall I was quite impressed with this kit. I would be a great starter kit for a beginner. Simple paint scheme, good fit etc.