Hi everybody,

I am planning to build an f-14d bomcat OIF in 1/48. I am going to get the vf-213 last flight special edition from Hasegawa. Unfortunately I haven´t found a detailed review for any of Hasegawa´s later reboxings to see if bomb racks and BOL rails etc. are included, so I don´t know if getting Hasegawa´s weapons set D will suffice or if I really need to spend $ 40 (that includes shipping to Germany) on black box´ bombcat update set.

So can anybody tell me weather it is possible to build a good-looking bombcat without black box´aftermarket kit?

I would be very happy if someone could help me with my decision,

Regards,

Daniel

Hi everybody,

I am planning to build an f-14d bomcat OIF in 1/48. I am going to get the vf-213 last flight special edition from Hasegawa. Unfortunately I haven´t found a detailed review for any of Hasegawa´s later reboxings to see if bomb racks and BOL rails etc. are included, so I don´t know if getting Hasegawa´s weapons set D will suffice or if I really need to spend $ 40 (that includes shipping to Germany) on black box´ bombcat update set.

So can anybody tell me weather it is possible to build a good-looking bombcat without black box´aftermarket kit?

I would be very happy if someone could help me with my decision,

Regards,

Daniel

The kit doesn't come with bomb racks, but it does have a LANTIRN -pylon- and, if it is like the VF-103 release, some very crude BOL rails. Personally, I would go with the BB upgrade as it is one-stop shopping for ALL the fixes. It is also a very highly detailed set.

If money is an issue, Darren Roberts' "Steel Beach" line (available from Sprue Brothers) also has a LANTIRN and BOL upgrade for a lower price than the BB offering (and you get bomb racks with one of those sets). Order those two Steel Beach sets and you will also be good to go.

I wouldn't even bother with the Hasegawa weapons set stuff.

-Mike

I see, the majority favors the steel-beach products, but on spruebrothers.com it just doesn´t look like either the Lantirn-update or the Bol-update come with the bomb racks, not to mention any bombs, phoenix rails or the screen for the Rio´s cockpit. That means I will probably spend the extra dollars on the black box set, especially since shipping is such a big cost for me. I really appreciate your oppinions and advice, and maybe I will even get the steel beach bol-rails, just to see the difference and maybe for my next tomcat

Daniel

I see, the majority favors the steel-beach products, but on spruebrothers.com it just doesn´t look like either the Lantirn-update or the Bol-update come with the bomb racks, not to mention any bombs, phoenix rails or the screen for the Rio´s cockpit. That means I will probably spend the extra dollars on the black box set, especially since shipping is such a big cost for me. I really appreciate your oppinions and advice, and maybe I will even get the steel beach bol-rails, just to see the difference and maybe for my next tomcat

Daniel

The LANTIRN set comes with two bomb racks and the square PTIDS screen. I didn't bother with the Phoenix rails because they are included in the kit. It is intended for the Revell Tomcat kit, but can be used on the Hasegawa kit. I don't believe the BB set comes with bombs, but the rest is absolutely gorgeous. The SB set is 1/3 of the cost of the BB set, but not as detailed. It allows for modelers to purchase multiple sets that are decent in detail without breaking their bank accounts. I was very happy with the way the BOL rails turned out. I think they are an improvement over the kit parts, which seem kind of fat and chunky.

Have fun!

Darren

:D :D :(

You're kidding, right? except for brief intermissions when Gordon runs out of stock, he's ALWAYS got that stuff there...

I don't have the means to buy from the states otherwise i would...

Simon

The LANTIRN set comes with two bomb racks and the square PTIDS screen. I didn't bother with the Phoenix rails because they are included in the kit. It is intended for the Revell Tomcat kit, but can be used on the Hasegawa kit. I don't believe the BB set comes with bombs, but the rest is absolutely gorgeous. The SB set is 1/3 of the cost of the BB set, but not as detailed. It allows for modelers to purchase multiple sets that are decent in detail without breaking their bank accounts. I was very happy with the way the BOL rails turned out. I think they are an improvement over the kit parts, which seem kind of fat and chunky.

Have fun!

Darren

Thanks Darren,

I definately will think about that. I have read so much good things about black box products that I am quite eager to see them myself, but the price of the SB set is shurely a lot more appealing.

Happy modelling,

Daniel

Darren,

Yes, it does. Four thermally protected Mk-83's with BSU-85 fins and a choice of M904 nose fuzes or Mk43 TDD's.

I included the four weapons pallets in the BB set because the entire set is designed exactly like the real article. Separate BRU-32 bomb racks, ADU-709 bomb rack adapters, and the pallets. The 709 adapters fit inside the pallets, and the BRU-32's fit inside the adapters. This adds a bit more realism, as well as makes painting of the pieces a little easier.

Dave

Cool! That's even better. From the parts I've seen, it's a fantastic set, well worth every penny. You do great work.

Thanks Darren,

I definately will think about that. I have read so much good things about black box products that I am quite eager to see them myself, but the price of the SB set is shurely a lot more appealing.

Happy modelling,

Daniel

You can't miss with the BB set. You'll love it. I didn't realize it came with bombs. That's even better! Both the BB set and SB set are designed to fill different needs of modelers. The BB set is the Cadillac set, while mine is more for the budget minded, or, as toad quoted so eloquently, it's Baywatch as opposed to Abs of Steel.