Agusta Westland HMA.1 Merlin - Italeri1/72

Guest Phoinix

I finnaly got the curage to show this helos of mine in-progress pics. Its an Italeri kit with eduard PE. After lots of photo searching, found lots of errors, some are repaird, some wont be seen, as they will remain hidden inside. I focused my work on the cockpit section and exterior. Lots of modification required on the belly and tail. I am sorry, the quality of photos isn't the best, but better than words. Darn, next time the commnets on the pics will be in english [;)] Sorry

Well, here they are...

Slika_0203.sized.jpg

HMA_1_Merlin_18_001.sized.jpg

HMA_1_Merlin_21.sized.jpg

HMA_1_Merlin_20.sized.jpg

HMA_1_Merlin_22.sized.jpg

HMA_1_Merlin_25.sized.jpg

HMA_1_Merlin_19.sized.jpg

The window was ct out by my mistake, so i had to replace it back [:lol:]

HMA_1_Merlin_30.sized.jpg

HMA_1_Merlin_29.sized.jpg

HMA_1_Merlin_28.sized.jpg

Guest Phoinix

All that i'm worried about now, is the windows geting fogged up in the process of painting. Those curtains took a while of playing around, getting hair through small holes in the styren.

HMA_1_Merlin_39.sized.jpg

HMA_1_Merlin_40.sized.jpg

HMA_1_Merlin_41.sized.jpg

Comm wires, finally...

BTW: Does anyone have a small 1x2mm decal "200 Volts"? [;)] I should make one, and place it above the curtain.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Phoinix

Thank you mate!

A little bit of progress. Wheel bays are on the frame, a few cuts here and there. I removed the central engine exhaust, couse it was disgusting. I'll modify other two too.

Had to do some filling on the sides, gaps between the "panoramic" cut outs were just too big.

HMA_1_Merlin_45.sized.jpg

HMA_1_Merlin_46.sized.jpg

HMA_1_Merlin_48.sized.jpg

HMA_1_Merlin_47.sized.jpg

Had a little time, and i made the hydraulics radiator on the top of the front dog house. Its made from PE leftovers and moms hair... she was the first long straight hair subject in the vicinity.

excellent build Phoinix, making mine look amateurish! I'm working with Whirlbirds producing conversion kits for the Cormorant & Portugese versions. Should be out at the UK Nationals.

Guest Phoinix

I decided that i have to make the engines, at least the parts, that are visible through the fire access holes in the cowlings. I'll add some boxes adn links from wire and styren. I found the chimney's too thick, so i made them from lead foil. Three more to be done, indlouding the one from the APU. I'll make the particle separator duct too.

untitled.jpg

2300 in horse worth RTM322, i'll try to make it look real through those fire access holes.

HMA_1_Merlin_49.sized.jpg

All that i'm worried about now, is the windows geting fogged up in the process of painting. Those curtains took a while of playing around, getting hair through small holes in the styren.

HMA_1_Merlin_39.sized.jpg

HMA_1_Merlin_40.sized.jpg

HMA_1_Merlin_41.sized.jpg

Comm wires, finally...

BTW: Does anyone have a small 1x2mm decal "200 Volts"? [:lol:] I should make one, and place it above the curtain.

1pt font size (Arial is very clear at that size) corresponds to 1 inch in 1/72 scale.

I usally print on 160g card with a background colour (say black in this case) and cut the printed 'panel' to fit the space it's going in.

You get good results on a colour laser printer using 600dpi resolution.

Guest Phoinix

Thanks chek! I already solved that one, with a spare decal from another kit. It can't be seen how many volts are running through, but it can be seen that it is white, red and something writen on it :D It does the trick, in 1/72 i don't thint it's all that important that you can read from everything.

Guest Phoinix

Thanks for the link Dandog! I hope mine turns out as well as your did. It's great! Did you have any problems with colouring? Did the paint chip on the rotor? The rotor plasic look kind of weird.

A little bit of progress. I've been working on the chimneys... "ho ho ho", and i have metalized them in steel colour. It's not perfect but, a lot beter than the plastic ones. A little bit of gold brown and it has the right tan.

Nr 2 chimney is in place, with the particle separator duct right on. On 1 and 3 these ducts are missing, yet to be built. On the photos, the exhausts are a bit off, downwards.

The engines got their particle separator ducts, i hope tomorrow they get some "black boxes" and wires.

HMA_1_Merlin_50.sized.jpg

HMA_1_Merlin_52.sized.jpg

HMA_1_Merlin_54.sized.jpg

Guest Phoinix

I threw up today, seeing the italeri rotor... or some ideas of it...

Re_exposure_of_DSC00054.sized.jpg

Re_exposure_of_DSC00057.sized.jpg

That's how it should be...

400257466mIXwtl_fs.sized.jpg

Any reference photos? Could sure need some, this needs scratchbuilding.

Guest Phoinix

Got the pics! Thank you very much Dave! You are my best source of data on this beautiful helo! You did your part excellent, now to get working on the yoke.

Guest Phoinix

Yes, i'll modify the M/R head, and add scratchbuild yoke to it. I primed the fuselage, stabalyser, main rotor blades and engine cowlings. I'll begein to ad exterior PE's now that it's all neat looking. The colour became really hairy when i airbrushed it on. I just waited so it was dry, and wiped it off with my fingers. It's great looking now.

HMA_1_Merlin_56.sized.jpg

HMA_1_Merlin_55.sized.jpg

Now, back to the rotor head and rotor blades. That GB date for helos is biting my tail.

Guest Phoinix

:thumbsup:

Re_exposure_of_DSC00069.sized.jpg

Almost done with this part of joint. On the photo you can see the dubble thickness styren as a "proof of concept" dry fit. The rotor blade root here on the pic, is not yet formed as it should be, i only cut away italeris crap. I already made thinner parts. The other part on the rotor head... well got to figure it out tomorrow.

Edited by Phoinix