Some of my profiles and some help needed

Hi!

I stumbled on this forum and am amazed at the quality of some of hte work posted here. I thought I'd show my own work first:

tn_3711final1500.jpg

McDD F-4F Phantom II 3711, JG-72 disbandement

High Resolution Version

tn_3837goldenone1500.jpg

McDD F-4F Phantom II 3837, JG-72 "Westfalen" 'The Golden one'

High Resolution Version

tn_3709jbg351500.jpg

McDD F-4F Phantom II 3709, 35 years JBG-35

High Resolution Version

tn_3722richthofen1500.jpg

McDD F-4F Phantom II 3722, JG-71 "Richthofen" Exercise "Frisian Falcon 2005"

High Resolution Version

tn_385825yrsJBG35.jpg

McDD F-4F Phantom II 3858, 25 Years JBG-35, Pferdsfeld 1984

High Resolution Version

tn_3838jg72.jpg

McDD F-4F Phantom II 3838, JG-72

High Resolution Version

tn_3754kws1500.jpg

McDD F-4F Phantom II 3754, JBG-35

High Resolution Version

tn_3841jg72splinter.jpg

McDD F-4F Phantom II 3841, JG-72

High Resolution Version

And now the request for help :) I am currently working on a F-104G from which I intend to do Dutch german and belgian paintscheme's. How ever I have ran into a road block concerning good refference pics showing the cockpit from the right hand side at a 90 degree angle. Is there anyone who has good pictures of this? Also I would be very glad with any pictures showing the markings on the right hand side on german/dutch Starfighters B) Hope you enjoyed looking at the profiles and that you have some usefull images!

Kind regards,

Lieuwe de Vries

Thanks for the kind words quys :crying:

Andy: I make them using photoshop mainly. EF: I tried most of the sites on that site and though they have some wonderfull pictures few of them are of the resolution needed to be able to reproduce the stencelling :cheers:

some of my older work

tn_white14.jpg

IDF Spitfire Mk. IX S/n 2004 "White 14" (Formerly D-133)

http://supah.chaotic.nl/white14.jpg

High res version

After the formation of Israel the need for an airforce with effective fighters was large. The Avia S-199, ironically a czech built version of the Nazi German Bf-109, was not liked and alternatives were sought. Some spitfires were assembled from RAF wrecks found at Tel Aviv and parts from Royal Egyptian Airforce Mk. IX's that had come down on Israeli territory or were captured in their pens. Two Spitfires are know to have been assembled from canabalised parts in this manner, serial numbers D-130 and D-131. After a while the IDF managed to purchase some Spits from the Czech Airforce and these were flown to the fledgling state of Israel in operations called "Velvetta" via yugoslavia. During these ferry flights Yugoslave markins were carried, the remains of which can be seen as what appears as a non standard outline around the SoD.

D-133 was one of the first Spitfire's to arrive through that route and continued to serve with the IDF untill she was written off in a ground accident on the 5th of January 1949. Pilot Aaron "Red" Finkel was at the controlls when a tire blew out and the machine nosed over causing severe damage. Finkel was considered lucky to have survived the mishap.

Later the IDF would manage to procure more spitfires from the Czechoslavakians and also from Italy. These aircraft served the Israeli's well together with a good number of P-51D's and were used untill the mid 50's. One famous spitfire, painted black with a red thunderbolt across the fuselage was later used by the commander of the IDF as his personal plane.

Sources

Venture Publications - "Spitfire, Star of Israel"

SAM publications- Modellers datafile The Supermarine Spitfire Part 1: Merlin Powered.

Authors Photography and field research

and another one

tn_white17.jpg

IDF Spitfire Mk. IX S/n 2018 "White 17"

http://supah.chaotic.nl/white17.jpg

High res version

After a battle with the RAF on 7th of January 1948 the IAF High Command decided to paint the Ocean Grey parts of their spitfires brown. As both sides flew Spitfires it was hard for pilots to distinguish between friend and foe during combat. It was thought this shift in colour would help pilots with this identification. This also introduced a certain measure of standardisation in the IAF fleet where paintscheme's were concerned.

The spitfire shown here carries the tail markings of 101 squadron and was seen like this in pictures taken in 1948 at Hatzor.

Sources

SAM publications- Modellers datafile The Supermarine Spitfire Part 1: Merlin Powered.

and a bit of a series

As the fledgling state of Israel came under attack from its neighbours every flyable fighter plane was needed. The plan was formulated to build a working spitfire from wrecks taken from dumps near Ex-RAF bases in the country and from planes of the Royal Egyptian Airforce that were getting shot down during the fighting.

tn_rgw.jpg

RAF Spitfire Mk. IX S/n PV120 RG-W "

http://supah.chaotic.nl/rgw.jpg

High res version

This fuselage of this spitfire of 208 Sqn was taken from an dump at Ein Shemer in northern Israel along with parts from another 2 spifires. This particular plane was field modded as a photo-reconnaisance ship. It was flown by 208's squadron leader and carries his penant, in a somewhat non standard position.

tn_reafspit.jpg

REAF Spitfire Mk. IX "

http://supah.chaotic.nl/reafspit.jpg

High res version

This Egyptian spitfire was came down near Sbe Dov after being hit apparently by AAA fire as no planes were in the area, no damage is visible in shots though. The Pilot Flt Of. Mahmoud Barakat was captured. The Egyptian Airforce never admitted this was one of their machines nor that the pilot was from the egyptian airforce. The pilot was repatriated to Egypt after the war. This spitfire would provide the engine and the wings for Israel's first spitfire.

tn_d130.jpg

RAF Spitfire Mk. IX S/n D-130 "

http://supah.chaotic.nl/d130.jpg

High res version

Put together the parts of these two airframes formed Israel's first spitfire, D-130. After it had been constructed it had been painted in a green primer with hastely hand applied markings, reportedly using car and sometimes even house paint. During the first few months of its life several panels around the engine were replaced but not emmidiatly painted to match the rest of the airframe. At this stage in the IAF's life paintscheme standardisation was considered a non issue and only later did a standardised green brown scheme emerge. D-130 and it s sister ship D-131 were the only IAF spitfires to carry the white-blue-white fuselage bands. D-130 was later converted to a reconnaisance role and was written off after an electrical fire.

Sources

Very nice Lieuwe, especially the Phantoms! Such a shame they closed down Hopsten. :crying:

Did you check airliners.net for the pictures you need? If there are no other options you could of course go to Soesterberg some time and take the pictures yourself, along with walkaround pictures you might need of other Dutch aircraft on display.

Koen

PS. I feel like doing a profile again, now to find a subject!

Some more work done on a F-104G profile I am currently working on :D

starfighter040606.jpg

Shot of the nose area with my new nosewheel attached

nosewheel4.jpg

A shot of the nosewheel closeup, still missing some detail bits.

orpheus3-small.jpg

and a shot of something I will be hanging underneath it, the Orpheus pod. A dutch designed and built recon pod :D

starfighter040606-2.jpg

And a overall shot showing the entire plane :)

Oh...the nosewheel :whistle: ...reall beautiful! those subtle effects and attention to the detail...

What is the original size of the image in pixels (I mean the whole starfighter profile)?

Oh...the nosewheel <_< ...reall beautiful! those subtle effects and attention to the detail...

What is the original size of the image in pixels (I mean the whole starfighter profile)?

4000 pixels at 300 DPI :P

Lieuwe,

Fantastic work. You have a real gift. Thanks for sharing with us. Here's another F-4G if you ever get the urge:

http://www.fencecheck.com/forums/index.php...ch=114145;image

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff!

It looks almost to cool to not do it <_< It may take some time to do it though as I will need to add various aerials :) Sad end for such a great machine!

Whoa, mail me one of those! That looks great.

They will be available from a Cafepress shop soon, alternatively I could have some printed locally and ship those to people interested :D

something I started working on this afternoon

KDC-10_27-06-06-2.jpg

RNLAF KDC-10 Extender

They will be available from a Cafepress shop soon, alternatively I could have some printed locally and ship those to people interested :)

Well actually I was referring to the fact that it had postage stamps on the tail, but as nice as it looks I may think about purchasing one.

That KDC-10 should look amazing. I believe the plane is ex KLM, ex Martinair. I really like the new grey paint scheme.

Edited by David Walker
:D Hmm, while not a KC-135, I'm still enjoying your progress.

Jeff

If you can find me good drawings of the KC-135 Jeff I'll gladly do it as I think it's one of the coolest planes I know :cheers: I got to sit in the cockpit as a kid and walk through the hold, which included a fridge stuffed with every kind of booze you could imagine!