Just so brian doesn't think I've up and forgotten about the jets I'm responsible for ;)

VF-114: The whole thing is pretty much assembled and is about 97% through the paint process. I just finished painting the nose stripes on, and I have a few areas to touch up still. My custom decals will hopefully be printed up soon and I'll be able to set this one aside.

VF-191: Cockpit is finished and the prep work to the fuselage is done. It's time to start sealing this baby up! I'll be painting all the markings on this one myself, so beyond stencilling (which I've got), I don't have anything to worry about.

VF-84: Ummm, it's looking pretty in the box? I'm probably gonna pull the cockpit out and get it started in the next day or two. I'm having a hard time locating some VF-84 markings, I need to get some! ;)

That's my update so far. I should have some pictures up here pretty soon!

I take it you're a fast builder? Faster than I am, anyway...I could learn from you!

Once you've built a few of the R/M kits and you start learning your way around the difficult parts, it kinda just becomes repetition. If I had a weekend to kill with nothing else to do, I could probably get one almost done. :blink:

(that's not to say that I don't enjoy it or anything, it just becomes an automatic thing.

Just so brian doesn't think I've up and forgotten about the jets I'm responsible for :lol:

VF-114: The whole thing is pretty much assembled and is about 97% through the paint process. I just finished painting the nose stripes on, and I have a few areas to touch up still. My custom decals will hopefully be printed up soon and I'll be able to set this one aside.

VF-191: Cockpit is finished and the prep work to the fuselage is done. It's time to start sealing this baby up! I'll be painting all the markings on this one myself, so beyond stencilling (which I've got), I don't have anything to worry about.

VF-84: Ummm, it's looking pretty in the box? I'm probably gonna pull the cockpit out and get it started in the next day or two. I'm having a hard time locating some VF-84 markings, I need to get some! :(

That's my update so far. I should have some pictures up here pretty soon!

I have some old 1/48 VF-84 markings im not going to use send me an email if you need them at vf101guy@gmail.com

Ok, I've begun to do some decaling. My custom decals aren't quite ready yet, but I've got plenty of generic stuff to put on. Here's the 114 jet:

100_2121.jpg

100_2125.jpg

100_2127.jpg

I've still got a little cleanup to do also. I'm doing the 114 jet from around 1988-1989, after the squadron had switched from using International Orange to Insignia Red. Finding some black stars and bars proved to be a bit of a problem, but I managed to find some. I also need to find some un-italicized 100-series modex numbers... since the squadron didn't use italicized modexes then.

Got the cockpits of the other two nearly ready also:

100_2130.jpg

Jeremy,

I've got VF-84 decals. I think it's possible I have every scheme ever printed. Did you have a particular scheme you wanted to do? If I could pick for you, I'd pick the Flag scheme with the VF-Decals sheet. I'd be happy to send you a set.

davidbrown2606912.jpg

Also, another good choice would be the last markings for VF-84:

usnf14execdecsm.jpg

I also have 2 of those, so could share them as well.

Finally, if you want low-vis, I could provide you with superscale 48-327, which has these:

baltrinicss48327b.jpg

For this jet

f14-photo-vf084-08l.jpg

Let me know if I can help you (PM me, or e-mail kozlok***REMOVE***@charter.net)

As an alternative, I've already got a VF-84 early jet (gull grey over white) on the shelf I could send in a pinch.

Edited by kozlok

Got the gears and most of the stencilling on the 114 jet. Just about all I'm waiting to put on now is the squadron-specific stuff (you can see the masters laying next to the model). Having some printer issues, but I'll get 'em worked out.

100_2135.jpg

Lookin' great Jeremy!!! How are the other 'Cats coming???

The VF-84 jet is ready to be sealed up once I get back to Wichita. The VF-191 jet (besides the cockpit) is looking nice on it's sprues still. I'll have pictures up soon enough :D

Oh....got a question about the sash on the VF-114 Tomcat. It looks red in the photo, isn't supposed to be closer to orange?????

You've touched on the million dollar question. Here is what I have seen: The orange that 114 used on their later jets was far deeper than the orange applied to their jets originally in the late 1970s. While I have been assured that it ISN'T insignia red, I think it's far closer to the true color of the later jets than international orange (which is far lighter). I've seen plenty of pictures where one could almost swear the stripe WAS red, when in fact it's just a really deep orange.

It will match up with the aardvarks that are going on the tail, and that's all I'm really concerned about :banana:

Jeremy, you're on the right track with the color, I remember seeing the 'Varks colorbirds in the late 80s at Miramar and they were much darker orange-red as you stated ... Wish I took some pics then ...

Gregg

• 2 weeks later...

ok, the 84 bird is all puttied up. It just needs to be sanded and primed and I'll be ready to start painting that badboy.

I've gone further on the 114 bird. I'm still waiting on a couple of decals, but I got the aardvarks on the tail, squadron number on the ventral fins, pylons, and gear doors on. Still plenty of detail work to be done, but it's getting there!

This one will be displayed cockpit-open, and as the True-details seats sit higher than they technically should, the canopy won't close all the way, so it's resting on top of the seats for the time being, lol.

100_2183.jpg

100_2186.jpg