Looking for help with VF-302 build

I'm working on a Stallions (VF-302) jet for Sunset Build

I've been looking at some color profiles I found on-line of a couple of schemes for VF-302 and it looks like the color is an overall gray ........possibly a single color .......dated 1986.

Anyone have an idea what the FS number would be for an overall gray jet ?

I did find a couple of low-viz photos on-line and those look like a TPS scheme but I'd rather do a more colorful build.

One more question .....I'm using Hasegawa Kit P18 .......it comes with two different boat tail configs ..... one with just a fuel dump pipe and the other with the fuel dump pipe and some type of fairing next to it.

Would either one be appropriate for 1986 ?

Thanks .....any info will be appreciated.

- Scott in Maryland

The color would be overall Gull grey (exact FS number escapes me at this moment). That was the standard before the USN adopted the 3-tone tactical paintscheme that became the norm from the early 1990s until this year.

You need to use the boat-tail with just the fuel dump on it (the other one has the ECM fairing next to it, which didn't appear until the late 1980s)

Hope this helps!

edit: make sure you're also using the early gunvents instead of the newer triangular NACA ducts

Edited by Skull Leader

Not that it matters to much but some of the -302 birds in that era had the real early style gun gas vents and some -302 birds were also in a TPS type scheme ... The cover of George Hall's "Miramar" Superbase 2 has a picture of a pilot boarding a -302 Tomcat in the lo-viz tactical scheme with the real early style gun vents and near the canopy rail is a "75th Anniversary of Naval Aviation" zap ... that year was 1986 ..

HTH

Gregg

Yeah, all the reserve squadrons ran a mixed bunch of jets.

Those gunvents would've been the segmented ones (Instead of the continuous vents), and might've even had the interim beavertail (I know those were still floating around on some jets into the 1980s)

I'm working on a Stallions (VF-302) jet for Sunset Build

I've been looking at some color profiles I found on-line of a couple of schemes for VF-302 and it looks like the color is an overall gray ........possibly a single color .......dated 1986.

Anyone have an idea what the FS number would be for an overall gray jet ?

I did find a couple of low-viz photos on-line and those look like a TPS scheme but I'd rather do a more colorful build.

One more question .....I'm using Hasegawa Kit P18 .......it comes with two different boat tail configs ..... one with just a fuel dump pipe and the other with the fuel dump pipe and some type of fairing next to it.

Would either one be appropriate for 1986 ?

Thanks .....any info will be appreciated.

- Scott in Maryland

Scott-

Actually, and I mean if you really wanted to get techincal, the P18 kit would not be accurate for a VF-302 build, peding on what time frame you're doing your build in. Hasegawa's 1/48th F-14A "Wolfpack" boxing is the one you really should go with, but what you have will do just fine.

The reason I say this is, VF-302's F-14A's were mostly block 75 tomcats which were like the first ones off the production line, and they had the larger boat tail and the grilled vents for the gun were a little different than what's offered in the P18 kit.

However, in 1987/88, most of the reserve tomcat squadrons rec'd modified block 95 jets that had TCS chin pods or the "bullet fairing" under the nose, and the smaller boat tails of the type found in your kit.

Since I got hounded for reserve F-14 decals a while back, I started compiling research mateial on at least 2 of the reserve units I had intended to do decals for, with VF-301 and VF-302 being the culprits.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...