1/48 Hasegawa F-4K Royal Navy

very nice build. But it is not the 1978 Oceana Zapping. I say this because I was there and did most of the masking and painting along with AN Billy Ray Reilly and AN Gerry Ashe. The roundels were changed to the star and ball the royal navy was painted over to read colonial navy and we placed full size VF-171 emblems on both sides. we zapped 3-4 birds the same way. the night before they left to return to the ark. Now I think your bird looks more the 1974(?) Zap.

Edited by TF51GREGWISE
very nice build. But it is not the 1978 Oceana Zapping. I say this because I was there and did most of the masking and painting along with AN Billy Ray Reilly and AN Gerry Ashe. The roundels were changed to the star and ball the royal navy was painted over to read colonial navy and we placed full size VF-171 emblems on both sides. we zapped 3-4 birds the same way. the night before they left to return to the ark. Now I think your bird looks more the 1974(?) Zap.

I used the phantome smokers III decals from aeromaster, I am pretty sure that it said 1978. I'll check when I get home. The decal instructions were used to mark the birds, since I did not have any other reference. Thanks for the correction.

Ray :cheers:

The nose marking arrowhead - that of 892 Sqn is definitelly 1978, the original version was introduces the year before - with variations of "77" in the badge to commemorate the Queens silver jubilee. 892's badge replaced the "77".Additionally the RWR on the top of the fin were introduced from about 1976 onwards....so those parts are accurate.......

The nose marking arrowhead - that of 892 Sqn is definitelly 1978, the original version was introduces the year before - with variations of "77" in the badge to commemorate the Queens silver jubilee. 892's badge replaced the "77".Additionally the RWR on the top of the fin were introduced from about 1976 onwards....so those parts are accurate.......

I didn't mention those items as being incorrect only that the other marking were wrong. Here is another classic example of how decals manufactures spread misinformation. I have errormaster sheet 48-557 on it they have a very accurate depiction of what three young sailors accomplished in one night. but if you read the notes they have you'll see the date is incorrect. Proof as you stated about your mention markings after 1976 onwards. Also VF-171 (see emblem on side of fuselage) was not formed until 1977 when it split from VF-101 (history I was a part of and another page often misread).

1phantomhms.jpg

cr7driver your model is a trophy winner and I'm not trying to distract from that, I only wish I could build a smoker half as nice as yours. :P