lacquer thinner over acrylic gloss ok?

I need to add a final dull coat to my build, and had originally planned to spray testors lacquer Dull over my gloss acrylic (future). My concern is that the lacquer thinner is "hot" and might eat into the future.

I've used the dull before over future, just not thinned with lacquer thinner. Any suggestions?

TIA,

Mike

Terry - that is most likely what I will do. I really like the way the lacquers spray and would get a nice thin, even coat over it. I have not had good results with getting acrylics to spray well - I even have to brush future on.

Greg - what do you thin the MM clear flat with?

Greg - what do you thin the MM clear flat with?

Hardware store lacquer thinner. Again.....no problems provided the Future is cured before applying, as it acts as a protective barrier to the acrylic paint underneath.

Greg

I can't remember how many times I've said this:

"Lacquer thinner" does not have a single composition. I is often a blend of solvents, some of which WILL attack acrylics—and most other coatings. Try on scrap first or you may weep later.

Edited by Triarius

Yes...I know you've said this countless times but I wasn't using a generic term regarding the solvent either...that IS how it is listed on the can!

Given that even Alclad states Future can be used as a base coat to protect the plastic from it's "hot" lacquers, I'm pretty darn confident that an even coating of Future over acrylic paint will protect your paint job when using MM clear flat lacquer.

I have had no problems thinning MM Dull coat with Kleen Strip Lacquer thinner (from Home Depot) and using that over future or any acrylic paints. My mix is usually 1:1 (Dull coat:Lacquer thinner).

In my opinion, the trick with lacquer thinned coats is not to do wet coats. It should be misted. For dull - semigloss finishes, I don't think you need wet coats anyway.

Well guys, thanks for all the input. I picked up some testors acrylic flat and gave it a try on some spare parts I had already painted. It gave the parts a slight gray-tint that I did not care for.

So, I mixed up some testors lacquer dull (about 50/50) like you suggested and gave it a try. It worked well on the test parts and only took the shine without the color, so I started on the bottom of the kit and worked around.

So far it looks great. I misted it on in several coats making sure to not get any wet spots and am pleased thus far. I set it all up to dry and cure. When I go back down this evening we'll see if it worked or ate my kit.

thanks again!

Mike