1/32 Revell F4U Build

Hi gang,

Figured since I spend so much time lurking and learning here I might as well share whats on the bench right now.

Im doing the old Revell 1/32 F4U kit, with a twist. No cockpit, no engine as Im going to try my hand at tarps to cover these items. This leaves the underside and finish as my main points to nail.

On with the pics!

They are all kept here if you want to just flip through them:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shawnmanny/se...57624455102919/

Made the opening for the wing brace strut:

4827959680_0d69970285_z.jpg

Opened the pilots step:

4827350065_46a6bc0eaf_z.jpg

Added "some" details to the tail wheel bay, you can also see the re-worked tail gear:

4827959274_94c2ed1ca1_z.jpg

Weatherd it all:

4850045453_6d7b7fac0f_z.jpg

Joined the fuse halves and added the canopy:

4880861952_66b539206f_z.jpg

Made a "dummy" motor to hold the prop shaft:

4880251537_cc432f9f9e_z.jpg

Started the wing center section, new exhaust ducts, carb blow out plugs, oil cooler/intercooler duct doors and boxing the gear bays:

4880251149_5c910a1121_z.jpg

4880860806_e3c3f198e7_z.jpg

4880862338_f19df8a173_z.jpg

4880253141_4c22faf010_z.jpg

Thats all for now

Edited by Shawn M

Hey Shawn don't forget the wheel well cutouts are mis-proportioned. The rear wall needs to be moved forward roughly .100 inches and the forward edges of the main door cutouts need to be extended forward.

Cheers,

david

Tonight I boxed in the last of the gear bays and started adding the strips. Also finished off the exhaust for the other side.

4886264579_6cb76a34b0_z.jpg

4886867074_b9eda2f1e6_z.jpg

my bench is a disaster right now.. :BANGHEAD2:

4886264751_0c566d34a1_z.jpg

Next up is finish striping the gear bays, add the door actuators, add what little plumbing was in the gear bays then paint the wing interior then close up the inner sections

I had that kit when I was a kid. I would never touch it now. I hope someone someday soon comes out with another Corsair in 1/32 other then Trumpeter. I have had nothing but problems with their kits and am not looking forward to getting more of them.

Its a "good" kit, if you like a blank canvas to detail.

I realized a few days ago that I haven't built a "Modern" kit since I was in High School. They've all been old issue revells and monograms, Im exciting to start my Dragon P-51.

I had that kit when I was a kid. I would never touch it now. I hope someone someday soon comes out with another Corsair in 1/32 other then Trumpeter. I have had nothing but problems with their kits and am not looking forward to getting more of them.

Strange. That's the first negative thing I've heard about Trumpeter aircraft kits. I've got a 1:32 A7E in the queue and my eye's on Trumpeters 1:32 F4U. Both of these kits have great reviews and don't seem to be any more problematic than the Academy kits of the same scale.

That all said, Trumpeter did mess up the name of one of their 1:700 ship models. They manufactured their Tribal Class destroyer as HMS Huron. When it fact it should be HMCS Huron.

In regards to the Trumpeter Corsair I know the cowling is "off" shaped and the wings are a real bear if you decide to build them down.

Mind you this is all internet hearsay, but that many people cant be all wrong.

I'd like to try a Trumpeter Kit at some point, the Frogfoot, A-10 and Harrier all look like fun in 1/32 scale.

The trump corsair is not shake and bake - that's for sure. With time and patience, it will look very nice but out of the box, it needs a lot of work.

But that's why we are here, right?

I love the work you are doing on this Revell Corsair - please keep it up!

Will do!

Im struggling with the wing fold area on my build right now...accuracy vs. stability/buildability.

Assuming you are doing the wings folded up - there are lots of pics out there. Its not too bad if you focus on one hose or wire at a time. All at once, it does look intimidating!

Pictures I have plenty of.

The issue is the kit has this "horn" you mount the wing on....well the "horn" doesn't exist in reality and if I cut it off I'm left making all the support/location bits.

Do I just need to "man up" and hack away?

Ok, so I compromised between accuracy and ease of build.

Here you can see the "trough" that is the wing roots.

4899463499_79f9c23f7c_z.jpg

close up of the "detail free zone", mid you this is after I removed the hold down brackets and the pivot bar.

4900055452_8e9726119f_z.jpg

Blank faced, half ribs..

4899464021_6ac401ce81_z.jpg

4900055624_3d045f5ec8_z.jpg

added details, made a false half rib, filled in voids, drilled holes and tried to make the wing pivot look something like a shape based in reality.

4900056574_4a9599b3b7_z.jpg

4899464607_0bd13851e4_z.jpg

4900056198_00ee71e3fe_z.jpg

4900055966_b4a11cb81d_z.jpg

Please remember this is all still roughed in.

Very good idea! I have never seen the Revell wing fold... now I know what you mean with the 'horn'

Its looking very good.

Thanks, I now know why no one has seen this area..it sucks. lol

I wondered why all the builds I found online had the wings down...its because they were built by sane people.

Shawn, its probably irrelevant if you build the model with the wings folded, but if you build it with the wings spread, theres a design defect in the kit- The wings don't sit at the same angle. The right wing has about twice the dihedral that it should. Also, the holes for the machine guns are positioned too far inboard.

I can send you shots of my 32nd scale Corsair project if you are interested.

convairb58 (at) yahoo (dot) com.

Cheers,

david

David,

You are SO right about the guns being in the wrong spot, I have a wing rib right in the middle of one!

Luckily Im covering it with "doped tissue".

My wings will be folded, but I'd love to see your build, I'll e-mail you.

Oh, my! :rofl: You're going insane with all this precision scratch building on this corsair, Shawn! I love it. Not many guys will go the extra mile(s) to make an older kit look this good! :cheers:

Keep those pictures coming, my friend!

FAB

Thanks Fabster!

These are the kits I learned on as a kid, why not re-explore them with more patience and skill...plus Im cheap :) and so are these kits.

I did some more clean up work last night, got everything to fit right. Time for some paint, then glue up that halves and continue detailing.

got some paint laid down last night, Yellow Zinc Chromate for the gear bays.

Need to weather it, chromate the other side, weather it and glue 'em up!

No pics unless you really want to see a crappy paint job of ugly yellow over silver...