1/18 F-86 Sabre Cockpit

osg1.jpg

This project is about accurizing the 1/18 F-86 Cockpit. Originally, what I wanted to do was to fill up the panel lines with putty, rescribe and

repaint the whole plane. I bought some aftermarket "The Huff" decals but the colors leave something to be desired. So I thought I would just

do some detailing on the cockpit, and preserve the original body markings.

b0nz.jpg

The bright artwork of this 1/18 is a sight to behold. I snapped one up having read about Lt. Jim Thompson's story of having the dragon painted

on his F-86F after shooting down a MIG-15 decorated similarly. Nothing like having a display piece with a story to tell.

vahl.jpg

These are the aftermarket decals. The clean dragon version is too dark and the weathered one is too light.

r3g3.jpg

The cockpit just begs for some detailing.

tzn0.jpg

I started getting at the screw hole covers. I wanted so much not to mar the surface but I guess there's no real way to achieve that.

v4ky.jpg

A total of four screws needed undoing. The one on the yellow band I didn't touch as I may not find a shade of yellow paint that's close enough.

So instead of popping out the screw cover I sawed the screw tube in the middle from inside. In hindsight I should have done the same for the

others, except for the one in front for which I won't have a choice.

wpqw.jpg

6ly9.jpg

Canopy undone.

bxa3.jpg

After having removed the screws I was wondering why the two shell halves wouldn't easily come apart. I realized that the positioning pins have

been glued together and needed to be pried apart so I made my way slowly along the whole plane. I started with screwdrivers here.

nj0z.jpg

And for areas where paint can chip I used tongue depressors and popsicle sticks.

aemk.jpg

3agy.jpg

Front part was a bit tricky - harder to pry open.

pw17.jpg

ytgn.jpg

e9em.jpg

At this point I wasn't breathing and was worried I'd break something.

9zaq.jpg

Here I could breathe again but was now worried if I could put things back together. I always end up with an extra screw or two everytime.

Notice the nose weight up front.

7oum.jpg

byvp.jpg

Ah, the fruits of my labor!

What you are doing is a great idea! I will be following along as you go.Paerhaps if you can pick up a 32 scale F-86 cockpit and then just enlarge the parts would help. It would give you a 3D perspective and what you must add.

Cheers

Thanks, Yuri61 : )

oaee.jpg

Printed out an F-86F instrument panel in 1/18 size and compared with the 21st Century part. Looks like scratchbuilding a new one is the only

way to go for accuracy.

olzu.jpg

Drilled out some gauges.

yfs3.jpg

2acu.jpg

qr2n.jpg

y34g.jpg

The upper portion is a bit thicker.

hq1i.jpg

Shaped the corners.

5z80.jpg

Added the screws.

2y5f.jpg

Trial run.

xmfj.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz

Very ambitious, well done. I wish I could have done this to my Big Cat so I could super detail the cockpit but, I didn't have the guts to tear her apart. Looking forward to more updates.

Steve

A10-Loader, thanks. I hope I'm able to pull this off : ) Thanks, K5054NZ. Yes, except for the trench panel lines, this Sabre is pretty cool. It's got some wonderful stencil markings that look like stenciled-on markings compared to the aftermarket decals.

yv8v.jpg

yrgd.jpg

05lg.jpg

zjps.jpg

Aftermarket decal stencil markings.

xyrz.jpg

a70g.jpg

Drew holes and printed out for the canopy defroster. I'm still experimenting on the best way to do it.

49pn.jpg

Stuck with pin for pilot holes.

yfq4.jpg

Drilled out.

vivu.jpg

Rounded the top. Maybe next time I'll try rod styrene.

wqkx.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz

32d5.jpg

Started making the center pedestal.

xm7d.jpg

Needed to raise the height of the floor based on the position of the new 1/18 instrument panel. Didn't want to make a new tub as

this slips in easier and locks in really nicely.

wmte.jpg

Those side panels are gonna have to go, though.

d0xt.jpg

Started marking off the center pedestal onto some sheet styrene.

895s.jpg

Drilling holes for the toggle switches and knobs.

axl8.jpg

Hi Phantom, thanks! 1/18 F-16 cockpit, wow!!!! Where can I see photos of it. I've been doing a search here and couldn't find it.

Oh not the cockpit, that I left as per the kit. Its a entire F-16.

Here it is next to a 1/48 kit.

DSC_0202-3.jpg

Thanks, Steve! Maybe I can : ) - I think I'm getting the hang of making these small bezels.

Drove all the way to Hamilton, Ontario to the Warplane Heritage Museum. So happy to see some of my favorite planes like the TBM Avenger and the Sabre in person and took as many photos as I could of various details. Unfortunately, the canopy of the Sabre was closed. On the way home I realized I should have asked to have it opened so I can take photos : (

This is a Canadair F-86 Mark V/VI and was manufactured under license - I'm not sure if that translates to "F-86H". I was really after the cockpit details for my F-86F. Hopefully the cockpit layout must have been similar - at least for measurements of the basic panels. I saw many similarities already, peering through canopy into the dark cockpit. How I really wish I'd asked one of the guides to have it opened for even just 10 minutes. I do plan to go back there in the near future, if just for the F-86 cockpit. If anyone needs close-up photos of other areas let me know what you need.

hovg.jpg

0bv1.jpg

40m3.jpg

id09.jpg

oytd.jpg

94zc.jpg

d6v9.jpg

hn46.jpg

y1n9.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz
  • 4 weeks later...

x2ow.jpg

Progress so far with the F-86F panel - 3 bezels and 2 toggle switches. But considering my slow progress that's quite a feat for me. Here she is

side by side with the original instrument panel. I guess the switches are barely noticeable. Only 2 more bezels to go, some lamps, and hopefully

I can redo the center pedestal. I want to put better toggle switches there than just styrene rods.