Steve, stay safe!

Thanks for your well wishes.......everything indicates this storm is a killer. I visited my friends and they seem confident their bamboo and concrete home will be safe. They said if it gets really bad they will take me up on my offer for safer shelter......but trying to change locations in the midst of a Cat 5 storm sounds like suicide to me. The tourists are all frantically fleeing for their lives, but the boats that go from this resort island to the larger island with the airport have all stopped sailing and the boats have been moved to safer locations. There was frantic yelling by the tourists as they all tried to board the last few boats running. I had that option to bug out early, but I decided to stay and offer a safe place for my friends to stay when the worst of the storm rages.

As you can see by the storm path map below......the eye of the storm will pass very close to my location or possibly over my location....means the winds will be frighteningly strong. Boracay will be seriously damaged by this storm

typhoon-Yolanda.jpg

I would say the one thing you have in your favor is the storm will have gone over a fair amount of landmass by the time it gets to your location Steve with all those big islands it has to go over. That could help to weaken the storm a bit. But, it isn't going to be a cakewalk either. I would suggest trying to get as much rest as possible before it arrives as it is going to be a LONG day/night.

God bless you Steve, and may he keep you, yours, and those whom you offer shelter safe and sound, that you may return home the same as when you began your journey. You will be in my prayers each day :pray: .

Edited by #1 Greywolf

I would say the one thing you have in your favor is the storm will have gone over a fair amount of landmass by the time it gets to your location Steve with all those big islands it has to go over. That could help to weaken the storm a bit. But, it isn't going to be a cakewalk either. I would suggest trying to get as much rest as possible before it arrives as it is going to be a LONG day/night.

Yes.....I didn't think about that but it will have to cross some islands before it reaches me and that should weaken it. The hotel staff are frantically going room to room removing any thing from the balconies and putting it in then room. it's a waterfront room high above sea level....the air over the ocean far away is not longer clear.....it looks misty......so I guess the rains have begun over the ocean.

The storm still has not arrived....but the winds are slowly gaining speed. I have 3 more hours of light and plan to go out one more time to check on friends and see the town before the destruction begins.

It appears that Borocay came out ok. See Borocay

Yes.... I now feel the storm went south of Boracay. I've seen much more damage south of Boracay in Aklan province.....I shot plenty of photos I'll share once I get home. In the city of Kalibo I went for a 30 minute walk and could find damage from VERY minor to total destruction on almost every structure. Bamboo structures in open flat land were usually destroyed so plenty of very poor families lost their home and modest little businesses. The richer families in concrete mansions did just fine for the most part.

Local estimates by the local people are power will be down in Aklan province for 3 or 4 weeks. So many power poles were snapped in half or were rotten in the ground and fell over taking the power lines with them. If you have a flASashlight for walking in the evening then you'll do just fine......I had a wonderful candlelight dinner last night at an excellent restaurant in Kalibo. The had generator power for most of the meal until power went out and anyone with a flashlight did their little bit to bring light to the place until someone could buy so gas for the generator.

Boracay was virtually undamaged......trees down and rotten power poles blocking streets etc.....but it will be cleaned up in days.....getting their power on could take weeks if they get their power from Aklan province on the neighbouring big island next to Boracay. But Boracay has daily brown outs at the best of times and all the resorts have large generators that kick in after 1 minute......so it should be all cleaned up and business as usual by now. Sadly the tourists have probably cancelled their trips and the locals in boracay will be hurting for weeks or longer with no income or tourists.