Roden 1/72 Felixstowe F2A

A little slow off the starting blocks on my GB entry.

Had a busy July at home (3 birthdays in the family, two family reunions, a 20th wedding anniversary, and kid's music performances) and at work (huge annual fundraiser and exhibit opening) so the Felixstowe has been on the back burner.

Was also trying to finish up another model before beginning something as complex as the F2A. Just completed my latest P-38 last night.

CIMG5750_zps5ae2e5f2.jpg

So the F2A. Lots of sprues. Lots of small parts.

b5c02da3-83c0-4dbf-ae3f-1b53df47b053_zpsff01a506.jpg

I decided to splurge on the AIMS aftermarket decals for the scheme on the box cover since I'd rather put my efforts into the rigging rather than masking.

9a6c8bf8-fd87-4058-b1d9-109ff57b2c90_zps9579a192.jpg

The engines are models in themselves accounting for more than 50 parts in and of themselves.

IMG_20140804_222503_000_zps9u0o5enn.jpg

Decided to paint the engines after assembly and pick out various parts for alternate colors after laying down a base coat of Alclad aluminum.

IMG_20140806_214756_098_zps1kb3ersg.jpg

Engines are painted dull aluminum and picked out some exhaust pipes with copper:

CIMG5781_zpsaf99c078.jpg

Threw in the vertical spars to paint the aluminum bits for them as well.

Also started preshading the main fuselage section.

The cart is painted but still need to add some characted with detail painting and weathering.

Did a quick dirty wash on one of the engines - starting to come alive:

CIMG5782_zpsed504ec0.jpg

Next step is to find a wood color I'm happy with for the spars and fuselage interior. First wood grain scoring experiment seems a bit washed out. Need a richer, redder color:

CIMG5783_zps33b76105.jpg

your engines looks really cool. there's a lot of pipe in there...

i'll follow your wood attempt with great interest, as it is a very different technique than what i've been using in my ongoing builds.

...and what is the color of that sample you're holing in your hands??? seems metallic grey to me...

i would suggest you something like "skin tone" colors for your basis... with a red-brown whash... and maybe some accent of clear orange/ clear yellow here and there...? it mainly depends on what you have at your disposition.

@mingwin - The color is deceiving. It's really more of a milk chocolate brown. The lighting was from the side because I wanted to see if the woodgrain that I scribed looked good (it did not).

So the wood grain technique that I used is an adaption of a number that I found on the web. Step one is a chocolate brown base coat (piece on the left, below). Then use a wire brush to smear a only slightly thinned burnt umber along the direction of the grain:

CIMG5797_zps98c99423.jpg

Then used Vallejo transparent orange to give the wood a varnished look:

CIMG5796_zps053edafb.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the results:

CIMG5789_zps1ccd3864.jpg

CIMG5790_zpsf2f31b39.jpg

Used a lighter, yellower base coat for the trolley but otherwise the same technique. Happy with that as well.

CIMG5793_zps2bb67416.jpg

This works well enough for me, and it feels right sized in terms of scale. it'll be hard to see anything inside the fuselage and the only other natural wood on the exterior are the spars which are pretty small.

Edited by nickdanger

it looks good so far! happy to see some progress are made!

your woodgrain technique is interesting, and you're right, scale-wise, it's totally appropriate!

can't wait to see more!

and thanks again for the update70.gif

@spectre - that's the brush I use to clean out Tamiya paint bottles, and it's the only wire brush that I have so I can't really say. I bet that its a good thing that it's all crazy to make the scratches a bit more random.

Starting to prep the fiddly bits. There are A LOT of fiddly bits

CIMG5798_zps5cc26ee5.jpg

CIMG5801_zps7cd6d8df.jpg

Still dryfitting

CIMG5800_zps1e27484f.jpg

Seems like the fuselage will need some extra spreaders to make to top fit on nicely

CIMG5802_zps31515eed.jpg

CIMG5803_zpsc009fa7f.jpg

As you can see, the fuselage can't be closed up until the lower wing is ready to be installed.

So next step is preshading the wings, glueing them together, and starting in on the drilling for the rigging.

Don't want to be doing drilling when things start to get complicated.

Doing simple preshading with a Sharpie to give an illusion of semi-translucent wing fabric.

CIMG5805_zps2ba69219.jpg

When I look around at biplane/WWI builds I see it done both ways - preshade the ribs or preshade between the ribs.

With this one I'll be going with the "ribs are dark" style.

The upper wings are HUGE. At 95' the F2A had a wingspan that was only 9' less than a B-17!

CIMG5804_zpsbd94ec29.jpg

Lot's of ribs to prep.

CIMG5806_zpscc5dd672.jpg

Next step drilling. I estimate at least 100 holes or divots that I'll need to drill out before moving on to painting and decaling the wings.

Edited by nickdanger

let's hope everything turn out fine! (anyway, my warning was not based on an absolute certitude that it will turn out bad... only that there is a high risk...)

but i understand you're point of view about not spending hours on masking (or miles of masking tape)

yeah, that was what i was talking about to you (and the reason why i even send you a personnal message to warn you before you put some paint over the sharpie preshade... )

the first link you put in your post , is the same link i was providing you in my message and in my post (the "beware the use of sharpie" in bold caracters was a link to that page...)

anyway, i would have found utterly sad that you could have mess such a beautiful model... better not preshade at all if you don't want to spen so much time... in the end it will look better!

@migwin - I didn't realize that was a link. I thought you were just underlining for emphasis!

Thanks for making me slow down and actually do some research!

If I can't remove the ink, I'll just go over everything with Tamiya surface primer. I can;t imagine that anything would get through that !

Took off the Sharpie with a rubbing alcohol bath:

IMG_20140903_182504_873_zps7d525f90.jpg

IMG_20140903_182544_626_zps322e8d4d.jpg

Assembled the cleaned up wings and started in on painting. Only done the bottom in doped linen (basically Tamiya deck tan with a little red and a little white):

IMG_20140910_215221_723_zps40fce392.jpg

Hard to see in the pictures but all (I hope) of the predrilling is finished for the wings, control surfaces, and tail.

Edited by nickdanger

Time for the red:

IMG_20140919_221559_143.jpg

Whoa. Maybe with a better background so you can actually see something:

IMG_20140919_221723_260.jpg

Parts are being Futured before assembly:

IMG_20140919_222538_424.jpg

Lower wings in, hull spreaders in place...

IMG_20140920_203601_179.jpg

Showtime ! First major assembly complete:

IMG_20140920_220403_233.jpg

Next up...starting in on the decals.