Stripping chrome plating

If you use Oven Cleaner make sure you use the Heavy duty stuff, as most of the regular strength products I have used (Easy Off, and store brands) only pulls part of the chrome off.

Also I have had goor results with bleach.

One thing to remember is that when a product is chrome plated it is coated first with a lacquer that the chrome will adhere to more evenly.

This material is not affected by the oven cleaner or the bleach, But it leaves the part Super glossy. So you might want to hit it with some fine sanding film to give the surface a little tooth for the paint to adhere to.

Hope this helps.

William G :rolleyes:

KYRRE!!!!

Where have you been?! I still have you on my contact list! Haven't talked to you in the longest time.

Thanks Madmike and WilliamG. The chrome I've been wanting to strip is off the gluing surfaces of my kit (Tamiya F-84 - Ha Kyrre!). Oven cleaner might work, but I was hoping to find something I that I could swab with a Q-tip, and working with oven cleaner doesn't sound too appealing to me, even with a mask on. Brake fluid sounds interesting. Isn't that stuff highly toxic or something though?

How about ammonia? Does ammonia work?

It sounds like you aren't unhappy with the chrome finish, just that it gets in the way of cementing parts together.

If that's the case, you can scrape off the plating with the edge of a sharp craft knife or even a razor blade. That's what AMT suggested way back when I was building car models in the early 60s. Works a dream and there is no cherical spill onto the viewable surface.

The parts come on sprues that get plated too -why not try out a few methods on the sprues and let us know what you find out?

Ammonia does work (you'll want it full strength), but it's best to soak the part, so not really what you're looking for. One thing to remember while scraping down gluing surfaces is that chrome plating is fragile, but prone to flaking, so be very careful - you don't want it flaking off the visible surfaces. You might want to strip the chrome fully though, then build and spray with Alclad chrome - working with chrome plating means you'll never really have a satisfactory finish around seams and parting lines. And, as mentioned, chrome plated parts have a glossy lacquer underneath, which should be removed too (though I've done it with oven cleaner...).

Okay, I got it.

Using everything you guys suggested (except for brake fluid), I finally came down to spraying a little oven cleaner into a small bottle, dipping a q-tip into it, and swabbing the joining surfaces. Leave for 30 seconds, then wipe off with a piece of cloth. Ta-da!

• 5 weeks later...
Hey all,

Can anyone tell he how I can strip chrome plating? I seriously don't know why companies chrome the parts, glue doesn't stick to it anyway!

the safest way to do it is to use fingernail polish remover, but it has to be acetone free or it will soften the plastic. just soak the part(s) in the remover for about 24 hours, then go to the sink and lightly scrub with a toothbrush under running water. it works wonderfully. read the tip in a modeling magazine.......

Hey all,

Can anyone tell he how I can strip chrome plating? I seriously don't know why companies chrome the parts, glue doesn't stick to it anyway!

Very good results with Castrol "Superclean",inexpensive no nasty fumes like Easy Off.Works great for stripping paint and cleaning up airbrush paint jars.

Vern

I've used Nail Polish Remover with excellent results.

Soak the parts in a bath of the remover for several hours (but not too long or it'll soften the plastic). Then use a toothbrush to remove whatever platings hasn't sloughed off.

I've found that nothing else works quite as well, and the Nail Polish Remover isn't as caustic as Oven Cleaner etc.

Hope this helps

Old Blind Dog