Gear Bay Washes

Hi All,

I just wanted to see what color(s) everybody used for gloss white gear bay washes on modern aircraft?

I usually use thinned Tamiya smoke that produces a dirty brownish color. What does everyone else use? Maybe a Payne’s gray or burnt umber. Just looking for other ideas, as sometimes the Smoke looks a little too dirty and brown.

Thanks!

:D

... use a heavily thinned wash of burnt umber, burnt sienna and black.

I usually use the same colors of thinned oil paint to mimic the greasy grime in this area varying the ratios for different areas. Sometimes I may add a little yellow or red (or use red/yellow alone), depending on the leaking fluid I am trying to recreate...

Sounds like the Smoke/Dirty brown-black mixture is pretty common. Maybe I can add a little grey to tone down the Smoke. I was going to use Paynes Gray for the fuselage/external wash, but wanted something a bit different for the gear bays. It's a CAG bird, so not too dirty, but enough to "pop" the details.

I usually spray a coat of clear on and then use a thin wash of just regular old black acrylic paint in a tube thinned with water. After it dries I use a q-tip dipped in alchohol to remove the excess, then I lightly drybrush in the landing gear / wheel well color to highlight it, it looks pretty good I think. After reading the other replies it sounds like browns and other colors look good too, probably better than black - I just never thought of using other colors, I think I'll try it. Here's a couple pics of the landing gear on a 1/48 Monogram F-105D I just finished. Matt

105gear2.jpg

105gear.jpg

Edited by ilpwnp

I've taken to using watercolors for washes. Using the type that comes in a small tube, usually mix up a dirty brownish-grey.

Easy to apply (Same technique as oil/paint-based washes), you can even adjust it if you put on too much by wicking some off with a drier brush.

I too like to use tamiya smoke. sometimes I thin it, sometimes not. I usually like to add a drop or two of flat base to it to tone down the sheen a bit, but still leave it semi gloss so it looks like oily grime.