Revell 1:48 F-15E fit problem between front and main fuselage.

Hi all,

While I am in the process of fitting the front section of the f-15E to the main fuselage, I wonder is there anyone who are able to achieve a good fit between these two sections without the need of putty? From the build photos in ARC, I think this can be done although there wasn't a close up shot in the section right behind the canopy. No matter how I fit the front section to the main fuselage, there always a seam in between these two sections (where the vent is) and I will prefer not to use putty to avoid rescribe the details. Anyone who can help? Thanks!

Jeffrey

I have heard people saying they do not need any putty to complete the model, but I myself have not be able to do so. I think I will have to use putty for that area. You can reduce the amount of putty used by stuffing a piece of plastic card into the seam.

I managed to get that seam done without the use of any putty there. I just took it slowly and watched the fit as the glue dried. All it needed was a little sanding. I did need to use a very small amount of putty in a few other areas, but it is a very nice fitting kitting, not far behind Tamigawa's finest. I have heard a few people say that there can be few problems with the fit of the two sections of the rear fuselage with one part being distorted, but do far not for me.

Trent

I also have heard people use a plastic shim in that area. I simply glued it, then went ahead and put thick CA over the gap, and sanded it. My real problem with the kit has been the stupid wings. I have huge gaps between both top wing sections. This is so annoying! Especially when the rest of the kit is so close to perfect, these are going to stick out like neon signs if I don't get them fixed right. UGH!

Aaron

Leave the intake pieces off. Glue the fuselage together, THEN add the intakes. This will allow you to push/prod the fuselage into place (and make any seamwork easier, if required) without the intakes interfering. You'll also be able to see exactly where any interference is, to tweak the fit, eliminating gaps.

I also have heard people use a plastic shim in that area. I simply glued it, then went ahead and put thick CA over the gap, and sanded it. My real problem with the kit has been the stupid wings. I have huge gaps between both top wing sections. This is so annoying! Especially when the rest of the kit is so close to perfect, these are going to stick out like neon signs if I don't get them fixed right. UGH!

Aaron

For the gaps in the top wing sections, I got it fixed with Mr. Dissolved Putty. This stuff really works on small gaps which are noticeable to the eye but too small to be used with regular putty. I used a small brush, dipped it with Mr. Dissolved Putty (no thinning is required), then let the putty melts into the small gap with the brush. Just make sure you wipe off the excess putty right after you applied it coz this stuff dries fast.

What I did was insert a piece of sprue in between the top and bottom halves of the rear fuselage section to spread them open further and this seemed to eliminate most of the problem for me. Then most of the "step" in the parts (which was the problem I had....not sure if it was the same for you?) had been taken care of and just a little putty was needed for blending the small seam. Hope this helps.

Nick

For the gaps in the top wing sections, I got it fixed with Mr. Dissolved Putty. This stuff really works on small gaps which are noticeable to the eye but too small to be used with regular putty. I used a small brush, dipped it with Mr. Dissolved Putty (no thinning is required), then let the putty melts into the small gap with the brush. Just make sure you wipe off the excess putty right after you applied it coz this stuff dries fast.

Thank's for the tip Jeff...I am sure that would work if it was a small gap...on mine, we are talking 1/8-1/4 inch gaps. I filled them with a mixture of Tamiya putty and thick CA, and that seems to work okay. Time will tell after I get this thing painted.

Aaron