F-4J VF-33 WIP

My latest project thus far. This and another '33 F-4 will populate an already completed background.

F4Jv3.jpg

A crop of tail detail

F4JTail2.jpg

The bird is an unmanned glider at the moment, as I still have to do the canopy/cockpit and

the J-79 turkey feathers (plus weathering and a Sparrow in the aft station).

Don, Your F3F is just beautiful. :P

Regards,

Stephen

Edited by mudrat

Illustration progress update....cockpit elements are crudely roughed in. I'll refine them next. I revised the rearview mirrior postition. Weathering will be up soon. Too bad, this is the cleanest I've ever seen one of these birds. Oh well, thanks to all for the nice comments.

F4Jv4.jpg

Regards,

Stephen

Actually,

VF-33 carried this scheme for 5 years. They were just not well publicized. But they were a working man's squadron. In the 6+ years I was with VF-33, we beat our sister squadron, VF-102 Diamondpigs in every missile shoot we flew in. That translates into having the best overall fire control radar availability out of the 2 squadrons. We were good where it actually counted.

Here's a test fit of the a/c to the background. There will eventually be a wingman added.

F4Js_Sky5.jpg

Regards,

Stephen

Bill , Gregg,

Thankyou. Gregg it gives me shivers to be where that photographer is shooting from on your banner.

I saw a saftey film in the Nav where a cross deck pendant snapped and the whiplash sliced thru a nosestrut

and then cut a guy in half. They were in the corral behind the island.

Here's the bird with a Sparrow added.

F4Jv5.jpg

Regards,

Stephen

Another update. I worked on the background and changed the foreground cloud to give it more whitespace.

F4Js_Sky6.jpg

Here's a closeup crop of the pilot. I left off the yellow pinstripe stars on the helmets because you can't see them in the picture in the normal print size.

F4Jsnout2.jpg

Regards,

Stephen

Edited by mudrat

Not that i want to correct you Stephen but here is what I meant when I said "Rendering" : To represent in a drawing or painting, especially in perspective.

You're doing a very Beautiful piece for sure !

Nothing but Respect from me Sir !

Gregg

Gregg,

I understand, I've used render this way as well, but I've been getting emails from people that thought this

was CGI. It was for that reason, primarily, that I posted that comment.

Thank you for the compliments, too.

Regards,

Stephen

Yeah, people being in the CGI industry finds it really familiar to defaul phong shaded models which are close to the default settings in all 3D packages usually. That's why I had that visual impression too when I first saw it, even though I knew it's not 3D. As I told you really convincing 3D effects you have done, and the whole thing is looking great! It's always a nice compliment for a painted artwork if someone has the impression that it's 3D as it means it really grabs the shape! And just to make it clear, I never doubted that it's painted :salute:

Keep up the wonderful work Stephen! :wasntme:

Greetings, neu