VF-84 Callsigns?

Hi Everyone,

I'm building a VF-84 Tomcat for a mate of mine and I'm putting together a little plaque for the base and I wanted to mention the aircrafts radio callsign.

I have done some internet searches and found very little so on the off-chance that anyone here might know, I'm looking for a callsign used by a VF-84 F-14A in the early eighties. Any help on this one would be greatly recieved.

Darren.

You mean the individual pilots' callsigns, or the squadron's callsign? All VF-84 (and now VFA-103)aircraft use the radio callsign "Victory", as in aircraft #202 being "Victory 202" etc.

Thank you very much! Thats exactly what I wanted. My mates model will be "Victory 213"

Cheers! :worship:

Darren.

Yes, it's been 103's callsign since the Jolly Roger takeover; as for -84, they have been "Victory" since at least 1979, and probably before that. They may well have used "Vagabond" as a callsign at some point, but I'm not sure when...I'm not even sure if they kept that callsign after the Jolly Rogers took over the Vagabonds of VF-84 back in '59.

Interesting...what would the reason for alternate callsigns be?

Depends on what freq and who you are taking to. At least as far back as Gulf War I (Desert Storm), callsigns were assigned by the ATO for specific missions, but a Tomcat would still talk to the ship as Victory 213 for example and use the Mission Callsign when talking to anyone else like the tanker or AWACs (ie Slate 71).

Makes sense. In "Speed and Angels", Jay was recounting a mission over Iraq where he and an F/A-18 from the airwing flew a CAS mission for troops in Mosul....and the traditional "Gypsy" callsign for VF-32 was not being used for the Ops over Iraq.

Exhibit "A", your honor.... :thumbsup:

Since all the modex's are different, and tell everyone exactly what jet you are in (and who's flying if you look at ISIS (electronic status boards)), the JANAP callsign is hardly used around the boat either.

You just call as "602" or "500". The fighter dudes/dudettes will normally make up a flight callsign for doing tactical training, such as Shark or Duck, etc. CVW-14 seemed to like college mascots. Adult Film Stars are popular too.

Janap callsigns to the boss are like your middle name to your parents..i.e. "Fisties (nobody calls them Fist) at 2k, deck's been open for 8 minutes, are you going to Charlie???"

ATO callsigns are totally different.

Spongebob

Edited by Spongebob