USAF F-16CJ Paint Scheme

I'm currently building Tamiya's new 1/48 Viper, and its going good so far.

Fit is really good, even the top forward fuselage mates well with the rear. The rear fairing on the fin base fits perfectly, I couldnt even see the seam, as it was done as one of the recessed panels.

Dry fitted the intakes, and it promises to be a seamless one!

There are a lot of shallow pin marks on the gear bays, easily cleaned up but still time consuming; it would have been nice if the depressions were on the other side.

Contrary to my earlier post, the main gear bay doors do have buldges, very subtle, but its there.

The cockpit coaming really has no vents. The front instrument panel is detailed, but only has depressed circles in place of the various dials and gauges. Wish at least there were decals for that, although a pair is provided for the MDIs/MFDs/whatever Viper drivers call them.

Three marking options available, and my questionable item so far is the painting guide. Tamiya states that all 3 airframes are of the 3-tone gray style. The trio of jets featured are from 2001-2005 timeline. Is it to assume that, by this time, all USAF F-16C-50s would have the 2-tone gray?

Thanks.

<_<

BT6

That would almost certainly be correct, yes. They would have come out of the factory in three tone but would have been repainted in two tone early in their service lives, I believe during their first major maintenance visit.

And there are many of us here who would love to see photos of your progress. You look to be one of the first to have the opportunity to build it.

Edited by David Walker

Oh, nuts...you're right...I forgot that USAF F-16s only get their 2-tones when repainted, but off the factory is still 3-tone...thanks.

I can post pix soon, but all I have is a 1.3MP celphone camera, so not much detail can be noted.

<_<

BT6

Tamiya states that all 3 airframes are of the 3-tone gray style. The trio of jets featured are from 2001-2005 timeline. Is it to assume that, by this time, all USAF F-16C-50s would have the 2-tone gray?

Absolutely, positively certain that all jets on the sheet now have the 2-tone paint. Tamiya made the same mistake with the 1/32 kit.

Jake

Edited by jmel

Okay...now this is quite confusing...will it be 3 or 2 tone? Can someone please provide images for those airframes?

BTW, I take back what I said about the 'seamless' intakes. I didnt realize how deep the trunking is. Its a 4-piece section (2 upper and 2 lower halves) and joining the fore and aft trunking assemblies resulted in a noticable gap in between...I may have to divert from the instruction manual and assemble the whole thing first to ensure a clean build.

I must mention that the kit does not include the muzzles for the M61 cannon. Nothing but a hole if you peer into the fairing.

:)

BT6

LMAO! well that certainly makes me want to hide in a hole,I just finished my 1/32nd Tamiya CJ by following the paint instructions with the kit and she looks great in a 3 tone! Ah well have to remember that for the next 16 I build. :)

Great pics by the way Scott

Regards

Mark

Thank you for the clarification, Scott!

For some reason, I should've known you have the pix for the Vipers in question... B)

I noticed something...the 5th AF Bird doesnt seem to have a white nose for its HTS...almost the same color as its body. Why is that so? And what is Have Glass?

BTW, Tamiya states that the lip of the intake for both airframes should be Flat Black...I don't know if that is true for the factory fresh birds or what, but I've never seen such the Viper's intake painted that way (though I'm not a F-16 expert, too)

;)

BT6

Edited by BlackThor 06

Have Glass is apparently suppose to help decrease the aircraft's radar reflectivity from what I've read. You'll recognize it as the aircraft looks really scruffy. I know there's been a couple photos here on ARC of the planes.

Thanks gents...hope you dont mind me asking even more questions in the future.

Really wish Tamiya took steps in avoiding sink holes in the gear bays...its really slowing me down. At the least, I'd rather have them on the opposite side (the intake trunking), at least its easier to fill and maneuver sandpaper around.

BTW, I must mention that I've been modelling armor for about 3 years, and this F-16 is my second serious effort for aircraft in recent times.

:thumbsup:

BT6

The picture of 352 is of a Have Glass scheme? It just looks dirty to me. Now the shot of the Shaw jet taking the barrier, that is clearly Have Glass. Is this scheme being tested or will it soon be on all Vipers?

Chappie

its rough, some places more than others though. on top of the intake lip is the worse it seriously feels like 100 grit sand paper maybe worse. looks cool as hell though, my jet 92-915 here at spang is cool and i think i kinda stands out from the rest here. the vert. stab to be exact. its markings are almost impossible to see in certain lights. cuz of the haveglass of course!

Here's one from af.mil:

Hoky smokes, Bullwinkle...

That looks like a navalized version that never saw below decks

on a six-month cruise...reduced RCS notwithstanding, the jet

looks just plain trashed!!

How much weight does this "paint" add? Probably classified,

isn't it?

I'll stick to smooth paint, thank you very much.

Can you imagine something like this going through an airbrush?

Clogged tips, ahoy (to stay with the nautical theme).

See ya...

Jim